The Achy Stuffy Sinus Quiz
Sinuses! They ache when the weather changes, stuff up when you have a cold and go completely haywire during allergy season. What are they even for, anyway?
True or false: Babies don’t have sinuses.
Your sinuses are lined with:
- mucous membranes
- serious membranes
- synovial membranes
What's going on when your sinuses get congested?
- There's too much mucous production.
- The mucous can't drain into your nasal cavity properly.
- Either (or both) of these.
In yoga class, your downward-facing dog brings on an ache in your forehead. Which sinuses need to chill?
Sinus pressure tends to be worse:
- when you wake up
- after a shower
- at bedtime
You've had a sinus headache all day. Which dinner will be the most comforting?
- an entire thing of ice cream
- spicy chicken soup
- mac and cheese
You're going on vacation! Which of these can trigger sinus trouble on your trip?
- the plane ride
- the weather
- going mountain climbing
- getting a massage
- all of the above
What's your best bet for over-the-counter treatment of sinus stuffiness?
- an expectorant
- a decongestant
- an antacid
You can prevent some sinus trouble by:
- keeping your allergies under control
- eating lots of kale
- doing headstands
You should use distilled or boiled (and cooled) water when irrigating your sinuses with saltwater because:
- Tap water leaves a bad smell in your sinuses.
- Water that's safe to drink isn't necessarily safe for your sinuses.
- The salt will dissolve better.
If your sinuses give you trouble when you wake up in the morning, you can try:
- sleeping with a fan on you
- using only down pillows
- elevating the head of your bed
True or false: A hot shower can help relieve stuffy sinuses.
How many sinuses does a typical adult have?
- one pair
- two pairs
- four pairs
Your cheekbones hurt! Which sinuses are probably the culprit?