The Ultimate Brain-Knocking Acrostic Puzzle Quiz
Tired of kicking around with crosswords? Sick to death of Sudoku? Maybe it's time to take on brain-crunching acrostics puzzles. But do you have the courage to wade into this puzzling fray?
To what type of game is an acrostic puzzle most similar?
- crossword puzzles
- a crossword/hangman hybrid
- "Wheel of Fortune"
Which famous author was known for constructing word puzzles similar to acrostics?
- Lewis Carroll
- Mark Twain
- Stephen King
The ultimate goal of an acrostic puzzle is usually to unveil what sort of famous thing?
What defines an acrostic poem?
- The initial letters of each line spell words or phrases.
- The initial letters of each word spell words or phrases.
- If you read it backward, there's a secret, Satanic message.
The word "acrostics" comes from what origin?
- the Roman word acrokhis
- the Greek word akrostikhis
- the Latin words Arepo Sator
How do teachers often employ acrostics?
- as mnemonic devices
- as language-development assistance
- as mathematical cues
What famous religious symbol is derived in part from an acrostic?
- the Christian fish symbol
- the Jewish Star of David
- the Pastafarian symbol
Some experts think acrostic puzzles might be good for what?
- honing word fluency
- keeping your math skills sharp
- improving spatial perception
What's a double acrostic poem?
- a poem in which the first and last letters of each line spell the same word or phrase
- a poem that repeats each acrostic at least 10 times
- a poem that makes you see double
Acrostic puzzles are also known as what?
- anacrostic puzzles
- crostic puzzles
- all of the above
What structural similarities do acrostic puzzles share with crosswords?
- They have diagrams.
- They have many clues.
- all of the above
In an acrostic puzzle, what signals the end of a word in the diagram?
- white squares
- black squares
- line breaks
What sort of skills are probably most useful for completing an acrostic puzzle?
- logical thinking skills
- Google search skills
- geometry skills
Which aspect of digital acrostic puzzles makes them more time-efficient to complete than paper versions?
- Digital puzzles applaud you for correct answers.
- Digital versions fill in the diagram automatically.
- The computer gives you the answers.
What's a basic strategy for solving acrostic puzzles?
- fill in the diagram with educated guesses
- consult Google
- fill out the answers you're sure of and then try to fill in blanks on the diagram
What's the name of one of the most famous acrostic poems?
- "Behold, O God"
- "Through the Looking Glass"
- "The Raven"
How can looking at the diagram help you solve an acrostic puzzle?
- There are sometimes clues hidden in the black boxes.
- Once you correctly guess a word in the diagram, then you can use those letters in the corresponding clue blanks.
- You may see hidden pictures in the diagram.
In addition to revealing a quote, some acrostic puzzles also unveil what?
- the name of the person who said the quote
- a Bible verse
- a line drawing
What should you do if a nonsense word appears in your acrostic puzzle diagram?
- review any questionable answers to your clues
- buy a new thesaurus
- give up and begin sobbing uncontrollably
Which newspaper regularly publishes acrostic puzzle books?
- The Los Angeles Times
- The New York Times