Are you age smart? When it comes to aging, how much do you know? Test your knowledge with this quiz adapted from "YOU: The Owner's Manual", by Dr. Mehmet Oz and Dr. Michael Roizen.
Which of the following ages you the least?
- Smoking one pack of cigarettes a day
- A HDL (good) cholesterol level of 29mg/dl
- Consistently avoiding cleaning grout on your to-do list
- Eating steak twice a week
What is the ideal blood pressure?
- Anything less that 140/90
- Whatever the heck made George Burns live to 100
- Depends on your family history
What is the ideal amount of aspirin you should take to decrease arterial aging?
- Whatever it takes to cure a hangover
- None; ibuprofen is better
- Two or more baby aspirins or half a regular aspirin
- One baby aspirin
What is the most revealing sign that you might have Alzeimer's-related dementia?
- You constantly forget where you put your keys
- What was the question again?
- You can't recognize information that someone told you five minutes ago
- You forget that you told the same story to you co-workers last week
What's the best kind of crossword puzzle you can do for your brain?
- What ever's available on the back of the toilet at the time
- One you can finish
- One you can't finish
- I don't know, but I'm looking for an eight-letter insulin secretor starting with a p and ending with an s.
In menopause, what is the major thing that happens?
- The ovaries signal they only have a few eggs left
- A women loses her ability to have sustained levels of growth hormone and estrogen
- A women's sexual drive decreases
- Husbands seek shelter from pan flinging
Which of the following is true about the bone condition osteoporosis?
- It's the leading cause of most hip fractures in women but not men
- It's more common in larger people because they have more bone mass
- The risks are reduced with lunges, squats, vitamin D and calcium in both men and women
- It causes aches and pains
Which of the following is true about the joint condition osteoarthritis?
- It's found in 85 percent of people over the age 85
- It's something you don't need to worry about until you're 85
- It's made worse by cracking your knuckles
- It's made better by swimming
What is the most common hormone abnormality in people older than 60?
- Testosterone deficiency
- Loss of sex drive (aka Brad-Pittuitary deficiency)
Which of the following is true about hormones?
- More is better
- Plant hormones are natural
- All decrease as you age
- Most over-the-counter hormone supplements are shams