Do You Have What it Takes ... Camping
If your idea of roughing it is going without room service, then Alaskan camping may not be for you. Take this quiz to see if you have what it takes.
What is the environmentally responsible thing to do with your used toilet paper on a camping trip?
- burn it
- bury it at least 12 inches (30 centimeters) underground
- pack it and throw it away at home
While camping, what should you always do before putting on your hiking boots?
- knock them out to make sure there are no harmful critters inside
- wet them down on the outside and set them in the sun
- tie the shoestrings together
True or false: Biodegradable camping soap is fine to use in a river.
If approached by a bear at your campsite, you should:
- run screaming
- start throwing things at it
- calmly and slowly retreat while trying to get out of its way
When it comes time for a No. 2, where should you do your business?
- on a sun-exposed rock for quick evaporation and drying
- in a hole that is at least 8 inches (20 centimeters) deep
- in the nearest river or stream
Where should you store your food on a camping trip?
- hung high between two trees
- in your car
- in your tent
When hiking on a narrow trail, who should get the right of way?
- the downhill hiker
- the uphill hiker
- the older hiker
How should you leave a campfire when vacating your site?
- hot is fine, as long as there's no open flame
- well doused and smoking
- doused, not smoking and buried
What's a necessity for any camping trip?
- first-aid kit
- waterproof rain gear
- a good tent
How are camping sleeping bags typically rated?
- by the material
- by the size
- by the temperature at which it remains effective