Did you know that ATM-related theft is a global crime that results in huge sums of money stolen every year? Smart thieves, advanced technology and sometimes poor security measures make ATM skimming a lucrative crime that could leave you with an empty bank account. But do you know enough about skimming to spot a hacked ATM? Take the quiz to find out.
About how much money is lost to ATM skimming annually?
- $10 million
- $600 million
- $1 billion
- $2.5 billion
What Windows platform do many ATMs run?
- Windows CE
- Windows XP
What kind of credentials do you need to purchase an ATM online?
- No credentials
- Bank certification
- Two forms of positive identification
- Special government license
How do ATM skimmers usually steal PIN numbers?
- Card readers
- Internet hacking
- Hidden cameras
Do all banks know how to deal with ATM skimming?
- Yes. Banks train their employees to spot skimming devices.
- No. Banks don't always know what to look for.
Which bank chain was targeted by skimmers in 2010 and had to reimburse customers more than $200,000?
- Wells Fargo
- Bank of America
What's the simplest way to protect yourself from ATM skimmers?
- Change your PIN weekly
- Spend 10 minutes checking over every ATM
- Cover the keypad as you enter in your PIN
- Ask banks to check the ATM before you use it
How do most ATM skimmers access the personal information on your debit card?
- Card readers
- Spy cameras
- Hacking the ATM's operating system
Which popular '90s movie depicted a teenager skimming ATMs for cash?
- Encino Man
- The Last Boy Scout
- Terminator 2
Which ATM companies were known to have "backdoors" that gave full access to anyone who put in a specific key combination?
- Tranax and Triton
- NCR and Hyosung
- Tidel and WRG
- Diebold and DPL
New "tap and go" credit cards use what kind of waves to wirelessly transmit transaction data?
- Radio waves
How much money was lost in RFID credit card skimming incidents in 2009?
- $1 million
When did the first known instance of ATM skimming occur?
Which security company sells a device that detects the presence of ATM skimming card readers?
- Electronics Experts
How can ATM hackers "trick" ATMs into giving them extra money?
- By erasing the ATM's memory
- By telling the ATM it's filled with a smaller denomination of bills
- By accessing multiple user accounts simultaneously
- By accessing a secret code that makes the ATM to jettison all of its money
What do thieves do with debit card information and PIN numbers once they have them?
- Take them to a bank teller and empty the account
- Change the PIN numbers just for fun
- Transfer the data to a blank gift card
- Reform and move to the country
What elements can give away an ATM skimming device?
- Off-color or protruding components
- Dirty or stained components
- Suspicious people hanging around
A security expert named Barnaby Jack was able to hack into multiple ATMs and export user data using this built-in program. What was it?
- System Restore
- Internet Explorer
- Tranax Security Pro
About how many ATMs were in use in the United States in 2009?
- 1.3 million
How much money was stolen in the biggest ATM robbery of all time?
- $1.5 million
- $4 million
- $9 million