Austin, Texas, is a favorite tourist destination that is noted for catering to a healthy outdoor lifestyle. The city is rife with culture and music that will satisfy almost any taste. You will find great shopping, awesome nightlife, maximum sunshine days and a diverse culture. Take this quiz and learn more about sunny Austin.
What is another name that Austin, Texas, is known by?
- Rodeo Capital of North America
- Live Music Capital of the World
- The Adam’s Rib of Barbecue
What is the lay of the local terrain of the city of Austin?
- Austin, like most of Texas, consists of mainly flatlands.
- Austin, unlike most of Texas, consists of rolling hills and vistas.
- Austin is a contradiction; it is flat in half of the city but as you travel west, it quickly slopes to breathtaking vistas.
What is one of the big attractions that bring people to Austin?
- Austin City Limits Music Festival
- Texas Longhorns football games
- Both of the above
How many students attend the University of Texas located in Austin?
How many visitors make their way to Austin each year?
- 23 million
- 20 million
- 17 million
As far as food events go, which event held in Austin is America's second largest such festival?
- The Texas Organic Food Festival
- The Hill Country Wine & Food Festival
- The Great American Rib & Steak Barbecue Festival
Austin is noted for having an abundance of sunshine. How many sun days does it have yearly?
How many Mexican Free-Tailed Bats fly out from under the Congress Avenue Bridge each night from May to October?
- 1.5 million
- 1.2 million
- one million
What is the population of the greater metropolitan area of Austin?
- 2.3 million
- 1.9 million
- 1.4 million
What is an important thing to remember about taking a bus from the airport to downtown Austin?
- Pre-purchase your bus ticket at a metro transit kiosk just inside each of the lower terminal exits.
- Capitol Metro bus drivers do not carry or make change so have your coins and bills ready.
- Bus fare from the airport to downtown hotels is one dollar and automated fare machines take only dollar bills.
If you are planning to drive north of Austin during rush hour, what is the maximum delay that you should plan for and anticipate?
- about one hour
- about 40 minutes
- about 30 minutes
What is a nice service offered by Capital Metro that makes being a tourist easy?
- There is a free historic trolley that it hits popular tourist attractions and you can hop on or off as you please.
- There are free trolleys that run late at night on Thursday through Sunday for a safe ride after late night partying.
- Both of the above are available in Austin.
What is a popular tourist destination that is grand as well as historic?
- Fourth Street Warehouse District
- Capitol building home of the Texas Legislature
- Chisholm Trail Stock Yards
What is a favorite cooling-off spot where you can take a dip without leaving the city?
- Schlitterbahn Water Park
- Barton Springs Pool
- Both of the above are great places to enjoy a cooling dip.
What prestigious distinction did Runner's World magazine give to Austin?
- Austin received their Silver Medallion Award as one of the top ten Running Cities in America.
- Austin was named one of their Top 25 Running Cities in America.
- Austin received their Golden Sneaker Award as one of the elite 15 runner friendly cities in the world.
What is a tourist attraction in Austin that is the only one of its kind in the world still in operation?
- Moonlight Towers
- Cedar Creek Hardwood Dam
- Congress Avenue steam powered drawbridge
What is considered the best example of unique Austin architecture?
- the Governor’s Mansion
- the Pease Mansion
- the Neill-Cochran House
What is unique about the University of Texas Tower, built in 1936?
- The tower lights up in burnt orange every time there is a victory by the University of Texas.
- There are gold-plated clocks on each side of the tower that span more than 12 feet across.
- Both of the above are unique about the UT tower.
Austin is bursting with great places to shop. What location is considered the coolest shopping district in the city?
- The Arboretum
- South Congress Avenue
- Round Rock Premium Outlets
What happens at Rock Island every Sunday night throughout the summer?
- Jazz Jam
- Blues on the Green
- Buffalo Bills Barbecue Bonanza