It's Better to Receive Than Give: AV Receiver Quiz
An audio/video receiver is the hub of a home entertainment system. How much do you know about this essential component?
What does an AV receiver do?
- receive e-mail
- connect components in a home entertainment system
- print documents
Which of these is a common receiver function?
- switch between audio and video components
- turns the TV on and off
- charging station for cellphone
A receiver connects to components via which of the following?
- inputs and outputs
- imports and exports
- logons and logoffs
The number of components that can be connected to a receiver depends on what?
- the number of inputs and outputs
- the size of the components
- the type of components
In addition to the overall number of connections, what else should a person consider about inputs and outputs?
- the size of the connection
- the type of connection
- how often the connection will be used
How is an AV receiver's power measured?
- in decibels
- in watts
- in volts
The amount of power needed from a receiver depends on what?
- the size of the speakers
- whether you intend to watch action movies
- the size of the room
What does the term speaker sensitivity refer to?
- volume per watt of power
- how much dust it will collect
- self-adjusting bass and treble levels
A receiver's high-current power does what?
- plays music at high volumes
- reproduces short, powerful sound bursts
- handles different inputs at the same time
How is speaker volume measured?
- in watts
- in decibels
- in pounds
What does the receiver's power refer to?
- sound quality
- both of the above
- neither of the above
What does automatic speaker calibration technology do?
- checks speakers for wear and tear
- adjusts the sound of connected speakers
- plays that funky music
In addition to monitoring volume, what else does automatic speaker calibration do?
- cleans speakers
- determines whether speakers are properly connected
- prevents action movies from being played too loudly
Which of these is an iOS device?
- record player
- CD player
AirPlay compatibility allows a user to connect which of the following devices with a receiver?
- answering machine
What is a receiver interface?
- the on-screen display
- the place where the receiver connects to components
- a picture of a human face taped to the receiver
What generally determines a receiver's ease of use?
- the interface
- the size of the receiver's remote control
What is HDMI short for?
- High-Definition Media Information
- High-Definition Multimedia Interface
- High-Density Multiple Insertion
What kind of input/output connection is normally required for 3-D TVs?
A person whose home entertainment system will be used mostly for music should get which type of receiver?
- home theatre
- no receiver