Does your baking stop at the pre-made dough you can buy at the grocery store? Or do you make every cookie and cake from scratch? Find out how much you know about baking those beloved treats by taking this quiz.
What kind of flour will make your cake the crumbliest?
- all-purpose flour
- cake flour
- pastry flour
Colorful silicone baking pans are both pretty and versatile. What kinds of temperatures can they handle?
- 450 degrees Fahrenheit (232 degrees Celsius)
- 500 degrees Fahrenheit (260 degrees Celsius)
- 550 degrees Fahrenheit (288 degrees Celsius)
What fruit puree is often used as a fat substitute in baking?
- banana puree
- pumpkin puree
True or false: Icing and frosting are the same thing.
- It depends: On a cake, frosting and icing are different, but when used on a cookie they are the same.
Add baking powder to your cake and it rises. What is in baking powder that makes this happen?
- baking soda plus cornstarch
- baking soda, an acid, and cornstarch
When was the chocolate chip cookie invented?
True or false: The English published the first pie recipe.
- It depends: The English probably wrote the first sweet pie recipe.
True or false: The best way to store bread is in the refrigerator.
- It depends: If the bread is filled with something perishable, like meat, put it in the fridge.
About how much white flour can you swap out of the average recipe for the whole-wheat variety?
- one quarter of the white flour can be substituted for whole-wheat flour
- half of the white flour can be substituted for whole-wheat flour
- all of the white flour can be substituted for whole-wheat flour