They say that in springtime, a young man's fancy turns to baseball. We probably put it a little differently, but we do agree. Take this quiz on how baseball works and you can find a dose of springtime anytime of the year. Batter up!
In the division of innings, the home team bats during which part?
- the top half
- the middle half
- the bottom half
Under Major League Baseball regulations, how far is the pitcher's mound from home plate?
- 60 feet, 6 inches
- 21 feet, 8 inches
- 44 feet, four inches
What did Baseball Magazine reserve the term "hall of fame" to describe back in 1908?
- batters who'd maintained .350 averages an entire season
- fielders who'd won Golden Gloves
- pitchers who'd thrown no-hitters
What type of wood is generally used in major league bats?
Where on the field does the short stop play?
- between first and second base
- between right and left field
- between second and third base
In baseball play, what is a fielder's choice?
- when a fielder chooses to throw another player out instead of the batter
- when one fielder calls another off in order to catch the ball unencumbered
- when a fielder is asked "paper or plastic" in a grocery store
How fast does a baseball thrown at 95 mph make it from the pitcher's hand to home plate?
- 1.1 seconds
- 0.4 seconds
- 0.9 seconds
A changeup is:
- a pitch that's traveling slower than it appears
- the time between the end of one inning and the beginning of the next
- the time between the end of the top half of the inning and the beginning of the bottom half
What's a balk?
- an infielder coming out of his stance before the ball is pitched
- a deceptive motion by the pitcher
- the insulting trash talk, usually very personal, the catcher uses to throw a batter off his timing
Spring training is held in Florida and what other state?
- New York