Bats are the only mammals that hang upside down. Did you know that bats are generally not dangerous and, in fact is are often helpful to humans? Take this quiz to learn more about bats.
How many species of bats are there?
Chiroptera comes from the Greek words for "hand" and "wing." Why are bats classified as Chiroptera?
- because their wings are very long hands
- because they have both hands and wings
- because they have wings instead of hands
What sort of wings would a bat that flies quickly have?
- long, narrow
- short, narrow
- short, wide
Which of the following sentences is true?
- Bats are likely to attack humans.
- Bats are likely to transmit diseases.
- Bats are important for environmental stability.
How wide is the wingspan of a flying fox?
How long do bats generally live for?
- 2 to 3 years
- 10 to 20 years
- 30 to 45 years
What do vampire bats eat?
On its hands, a bat has a thumb and how many fingers?
What do bats use their legs for?
With which part of their body are bats able to see?
- using their ears
- using their eyes
- using their voice
How do bats make up for the poor visibility at night?
- They use sound to identify the location of objects.
- They use their sense of touch to feel objects.
- They have hormones that trigger a special night vision.
Flying foxes are fruit bats, meaning they eat a diet of different fruits. What part of the fruit do the bats eat?
- the pulp
- the juice
- the skin
Where are flying foxes usually found?
- in caves
- in mines
- in high trees
Bats prefer to spend their time hanging upside down. For which activities do bats turn right-side up?
- giving birth
Some bats build a tent as shelter. How do they do this?
- They pile up twigs into a teepee-like structure.
- They make a ridge in the underside of a large leaf.
- They make a layer of fruit peels to hide underneath of.
How do bats generally roost?
- in colonies
- in pairs
Little brown bats are one of the most common bats in North America. What do they eat?
What happens to a bat if it gets rabies?
- It dies.
- It bites humans.
- It goes crazy.
Bats are endangered by whom?
- both of the above
Guano is sought after by humans. What is guano?
- bat droppings
- bat carcasses
- bat babies