The Ultimate Beer Keg Quiz
Have you ever considered how much thought goes into the way beer is stored, poured, moved and drunk? Take a sober look at your knowledge of this potent potable by taking our beer keg quiz.
How many millions of barrels of beer were brewed in the U.S. in 2010?
- 150 million
- 180 million
- 210 million
How much beer does an American barrel hold?
- It varies depending on the brewery; each one uses a different size barrel.
- a week's supply of beer for a 200-pound (90-kilogram) man
- 31 gallons (117 liters)
How much does an empty half-barrel weigh?
- 15 pounds (7 kilograms)
- 30 pounds (14 kilograms)
- 45 pounds (20 kilograms)
What are the advantages to storing beer in a keg?
- The keg is rollable, stackable, tappable, recyclable and durable.
- The keg is the easiest method to dispense beer.
- The keg is very inexpensive.
What are "ribs" for in a beer keg?
- to give the keg's structure more strength
- to make the round shape of a keg look more attractive
- to keep the beer from sloshing around so much
What do torpedoes and ponies have in common?
- They are types of self-dispensing kegs.
- They both refer to keg sizes.
- Absolutely nothing.
What is one of the most important features of a beer keg?
- its flat bottom
- its size
- its airtightness
Why does a beer keg have a spear?
- to fight off anyone who tries to steal your beer
- to draw the beer up and out through the tap
- to release built-up carbon dioxide
Where are taps located on most beer kegs?
- at the top
- at the bottom
- at the side
What's the main disadvantage of a party pump?
- It's too much work for one person to operate.
- It allows oxygen to enter the keg.
- It's a very slow way to dispense beer.
What gives beer its bubbles?
- carbon dioxide
What two gases are the best combination for maintaining natural carbonation?
- carbon dioxide and nitrogen
- nitrogen and oxygen
- oxygen and carbon dioxide
How long do beer kegs normally last?
- 10 years
- 30 years
- 50 years
What is keg refurbishing?
- repurposing beer kegs into bar tables, chairs and stools
- cleaning, repairing and sterilizing beer kegs
- recycling the keg into scrap metal
How many different types of taps are there?
Why are there so many types of beer keg taps?
- Each type of beer requires its own tap.
- Each continent uses a different tap.
- Each size keg needs a different tap.
What device is used with beer taps to maintain the inside pressure?
What does excess heat do to beer?
- It encourages bacteria to grow in the beer.
- It makes the beer smell bad.
- It makes carbonation bubbles expand and pop.
What is a firkin?
- an old storage vessel for ale
- a traditional party favor given at Oktoberfest
- the concave wooden frame that stores beer kegs sideways
Which type of keg do home brewers prefer for their beer storage?
- the Midas keg
- the Cornelius keg
- the James keg