How well do you know your biofuels? Better yet, how well do you know the factors that may keep them from being put to use on a large scale? Try this quiz to test your knowledge about the downsides of popular biofuels.
What does it cost to convert a car to run on biodiesel?
- Nothing; biodiesel is identical to petroleum diesel.
- less than $100
- It depends on the vehicle.
How much pollution is created by fertilizer runoff worldwide?
- There's no way to tell.
- 30 percent of the world's water pollution
- 5.6 billion gallons of nitrates
How many people in the world live on only $1 to $2 per day?
- 100 million
- 500 million
- 800 million
What's the gel point of biodiesel?
- higher than that of petroleum diesel
- the same as petroleum diesel
- lower than that of petroleum diesel
How much energy does it take to produce a gallon of biodiesel?
- half as much energy as is produced by the biodiesel
- one third as much energy as is produced by the biodiesel
- anywhere from 20 to 100 percent more energy than the biodiesel contains
Which country produces the most biofuel?
- The United States
- Both are leaders in different types of biofuel.
How does biofuel compare to petroleum's energy storage ability?
- It's better.
- It's worse.
- It depends on the fuel source.
What is monoculture?
- a culture in which everyone eats the same foods
- the practice of growing one heavily concentrated crop
- a method of agriculture that centers on one community