When it comes to your body, how much do you know? Test your knowledge with this quiz adapted from "YOU: The Owner's Manual", by Dr. Mehmet Oz and Dr. Michael Roizen.
Which of the following conditions is not primarily caused by deterioration of arteries?
What's the best Valentine's Day gift you can give your partner to make him/her healthier?
- A little real chocolate candy for its nutritional effects
- Schedule a warm massage for loosening up muscles
- Flowers, for their therapeutic and aromatic effects
- I'll be more than happy to take a spin through the Victoria's Secret catalog to get a few ideas
Which of the following is true about the gender difference in brains?
- Men tend to solve problems faster while women analyze complex issues better
- Women have more emotional intelligence than men
- Men's brains have a neural substation hiding under their Calvin Kleins
- Men and women have the same brain system
What size particles are most hazardous to your lungs?
- Size of the peanut, since it can block your windpipe
- Size of a small piece of tabacco
- Size of the stuff that causes smog
- Size so small that you'd need more than the usual light-powered microscope to see them
Fill in the blank with the most appropriate comparsion. Sleep is like ____ .
- Sex, because you can never get too much
- Seat belts, because it helps your body come to a stop
- Your boss, because it's most agreeable when it's uninterrupted
- Church, because it's always so quiet and peaceful
What is excessive snoring the sign of?
- That you stopped breathing
- Imminent divorce
- That there's some kind of obstruction in your throat
- That you haven't had enough sleep
What's equivalent risk of an hour's exposure to secondhand smoke?
- Smoking four cigarettes yourself
- Driving without a seat belt
- Sunning yourself for an hour without sunscreen
- Having a cholesterol level of 240
Your intestines are most similar to what other organ?
- Your heart, because in pumps nutrients through the body
- The big one at the back of the church, because it makes all kinds of majestic sounds
- Your brain, because it releases the same chemicals
- You vocal cords, because they growl when you're hungry
Who is most likely to give you a stomach ulcer?
- Your boss (from stress)
- Your chef (from bad food)
- Your spouse (from kissing)
- Youself (from overeating)
What is the major function of the colon?
- To signal your brain that you're full
- To separate an independent clause from a dependent one
- To suck fluid into your body
- To digest food and get rid of gas
What is the reason that men can drink more alcohol that women?
- Two words: Animal House
- Men have more testosterone
- Men are bigger physically
- Men's blood gets less of what they consume
Where does conception take place?
- The Holiday Inn
- Fallopian tubes
Complete the following sentence. The size of a man's sex organ ________ .
- Has got to make you wonder what Speedo was thinking
- Doesn't matter
- Is based on the need to attract members of the opposite sex
- Is important for proper prostate function and sexual satisfaction
Which of these substances is most responsible for sex drive in both men and women?
What is the best test to measure if you have the cardiovascular stamina to have sex?
- Do ten push-ups without stopping
- Practice by yourself
- Climb two flights of stairs without stopping
- Run on a treadmill for 10 minutes
What does a Pap smear detect?
- Nasty gossip from old friends
- Cervical Cancer
What foods increase fertility rates?
- Calcium-rich foods
- Anything, as long as it includes flowers, a couple bottles of wine and a nice night of dancing
What are the most active muscles in the body?
- The ones used in your back
- The ones used around your jaw
- The ones used around your eyes
- The ones used during your honeymoon
Why should you avoid using Q-tips to clean your ears?
- It breaks most of Emily Post's major rules about dinner table manners
- Cleaning ear wax just increases the amount you produce
- They can tear your eardrum
- They can push the wax into position to block sound waves
What is an indication that you're legally blind?
- You wear pink pants with a red shirt
- Your loved ones accuse you of having no insight
- You can't see the big letters on a vision chart from a distance of 20 feet
- You can't read this, Mr. Magoo
What part of the body is least likely to be damaged by the sun?
- Your eyes, because they're not skin
- Your scalp, because it's covered by hair
- Your butt, because it's covered by clothes (or hair)
- The backs of your ears, because they're such a small area
What is the main purpose of skin?
- To keep Hef in business
- To hold hair follicles
- To protect your insides from the outside world
- To keep salt and potassium inside your cells
Which of the following is true about joints?
- They're almost all constructed with just two bones and a hinge in between
- They're illegal in at least 48 states
- Most link bones with a hinge that is lubricated better when you eat fish oils or nuts
- They're all composed of muscles, tendons, ligaments, cartilage, nerves and bones
Which of the following is true about your bones?
- They're fully formed by the age 23
- They're the hardest substance in your body
- They have a matrix structure like the Eiffel Tower
- They weaken in women, but not men
Which of the following is true about back pain?
- It originates in your pelvic muscles
- It gets more common as you get older
- It's reduced by those weight belts often worn by people who exercise or work in warehouses
- It can be largely prevented by doing exercise that centers around the pelvis and abdomen
What is the first line of defense against infection?
- A sneeze or cough
- The antibodies in your mouth and nose
- Bathing with antibacterial soap
- Your skin
What is the worst part about untreated, low-grade infections that don't have overt symptoms?
- They can cause you to miss work
- They can cause cancer of the pancreas
- They can cause chronic inflammation in your arteries
- They can make you resistant to antibiotics
What is the safest way to shorten the duration of the common cold?
- Your mom's chicken soup
- Zinc lozenges
- Vitamin C and bed rest
What is the best thing you can do to prevent infections?
- Use a water filter
- Use condoms
- Wash your hands
- Stop taking antibiotics as soon as the infection is gone
Which of the following is true about cancer?
- It is almost never preventable
- You cannot coexist with cancer
- There are no cancers that are 100 percent lethal
- Most cancers are contagious