Boston is a bustling New England city that proudly displays its rich history along with being home to some of the world’s best universities and cultural attractions. A visitor to Boston will not find a lack of things to do including shopping, dining out, excellent entertainment and a healthy environment to relax in. Take our quiz to learn more about the city of Boston.
What significant historic event began in Boston?
- American Revolution
- Boston Tea Party
- War of 1812
About how many colleges and universities are there in the Boston metropolitan area?
- about 75
- just under 100
- more than 100
What was unique about the geographic layout of the city of Boston?
- Boston is a charming island surrounded by three rivers and the Atlantic Ocean.
- Boston is an isthmus, bordered by three rivers and the Atlantic Ocean.
- Boston is a peninsula in the middle of three rivers and the Atlantic Ocean connected to America by an isthmus.
What is the area of Boston?
Which river bordering Boston separates the city from the city of Cambridge?
- Mystic River
- Neponset River
- Charles River
What part of Boston will a typical visitor pass through many times on a tour of this historic city?
- Freedom Trail
- Boston Common
How many students attend Boston’s colleges when they are in session?
- over 200,000
- about 225,000
- over 240,000
What is the population of the Greater Boston metropolitan area?
- 2.8 million
- 3.6 million
- 4.5 million
Boston is considered a safe city, but what areas should you avoid late at night?
- Boston Common, the Public Garden and Chinatown
- Downtown Crossing, the North End and Waterfront Area
- both above lists of areas
What should you know about the weather in Boston when you plan to travel there?
- New England weather tends to be moderate with comfortable low and high temperature extremes.
- New England weather is extremely changeable, even on a daily basis with four distinct seasons.
- New England weather tends to be very hot in the summer and very cold in the winter with a short spring and fall.
What is the best way to access every option of public transport, excluding taxis, when you arrive in Boston by air?
- Massport Shuttle bus
- Logan Airport Loop Train
- MTBA Light Rail
What is your best option for a fast trip to Boston proper that gets you close to the financial district hotels?
- MBTA Harbor Express
- City Water Taxi
- both of the above
What is notable about guest parking fees at hotels in Boston?
- All parking is in heated indoor spaces, which is very convenient in bad weather.
- Hotel parking is very expensive at anywhere from $30 to $50 per night for registered guests.
- Most hotels in Boston do not offer parking facilities and guests must resort to off-site parking garages.
What is the project called that replaced the old elevated I-93 artery slicing through Boston with a modern underground highway?
- The Big Dig
- The Central Artery/Tunnel Project
- both of the above
Once the old highway I-93 was gone and cars traveled underground, how much park-like land was returned to the city?
- 250 acres
- 300 acres
- 350 acres
What is one of many nicknames given to Boston that reveals a lot about its character?
- The Green City
- The Windy City
- The Walking City
What is the best method of transportation in downtown Boston once the bars close down between one and two a.m.?
How many aquatic creatures can be seen at the very popular New England Aquarium?
- more than 8,000
- almost 7,000
- just over 5,500
What is the name of the oldest commissioned warship in the world still sailing in the Boston harbor?
- USS Boston
- USS Constitution
- USS George Washington
Where should you go to touch the toe of a certain statue that is considered an omen for good luck?
- Museum of Fine Arts
- Boston Common
- Harvard Yard