The Ultimate Bottle-Nosed Dolphin Behavior Quiz
Have you ever been swimming with dolphins? Take this quiz to learn more about the behavior of bottle-nosed dolphins and decide whether you still want to go swimming with them.
How are bottle-nosed dolphins generally perceived?
- as aggressive animals
- as friendly animals
- as cruel animals
Who was the marine biologist who led the group that discovered aggressive dolphins?
- Richard Connor
- Ali Abdelghany
- Joseph Ayers
In which decade were most of the new dolphin behavior discoveries made?
Which group of animals usually forms social alliances?
How long do some male dolphin alliances last for?
Why do male dolphins form alliances?
- out of friendship
- with sexual motivation
- to improve hunting capabilities
Up to how long might a female dolphin remain in male captivity?
What do dolphins to do females to prevent them from escaping?
- bite them
- guard them
- starve them
What spurs on male dolphins to capture females?
- male desire to rule
- males feeling threatened by females
- female promiscuity
Where have super-gangs of dolphins been observed?
- Shark Bay
- Moray Firth
- Virginia Beach
What ability do female dolphins have with regard to mating?
- The ability to chose the sex of their baby.
- The ability to select who they conceive with.
- The ability to smell who is the strongest male.
How long do female dolphins usually spend raising a single calf?
- 1-3 years
- 2- 4 years
- 3 - 6 years
Which animals were dolphins killing hundreds of in 1990?
- baby dolphins
What caused the death of the porpoise?
- bruised organs
How did scientists discover that bottle-nosed dolphins were behind the porpoise killings?
- They found dolphin DNA on the porpoise.
- They matched the teeth marks to the dolphins.
- The dolphins had porpoise skin on them.
Why did the dolphins kill the porpoises?
- because porpoise eat the same fish as them
- because porpoise are rival mates
- it is unknown
What other dolphin killings have been documented?
- baby dolphins
How old were the baby dolphins that were killed?
Within how long can female dolphins become fertile after losing an infant?
What is other speculation as to why dolphins killed the porpoises?
- They used porpoises as target practice.
- They confused porpoises with baby dolphins.
- both of the above