'What You Resist, Persists': The Carl Jung Quiz
If you've ever peered into the shadow of your subconscious, you can blame this guy. How much do you know about Carl Jung, explorer of the human mind?
Carl Jung had a major impact on the way people think about which aspect of humanity?
- ability to learn
When was Jung born?
Jung said that by nature, the human personality is … ?
As a child, Jung's relatives expected that he would wind up in which profession?
Jung once said, "Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside; … ?"
Jung is sometimes considered the father of which kind of psychology?
- empowered psychology
- analytical psychology
- psychosexual psychology
What did Jung call the "personal unconscious"?
- the echo chamber
- no man's land
- a wasteland
Jung spent much of his life exploring the intersection of psychology and …
In 1910, how did Jung become president of the International Psychoanalytical Association?
- No one else wanted the job.
- Freud lobbied for him to get it.
- He bribed the right people.
Who was one of Jung's very first professional influences?
- Carl Alfred Meier
- Sigmund Freud
- Eugene Bleuler
What legacy did Eugene Bleuler leave behind, which contributed to Jung's development as a professional?
- gentle ways of restraining deranged patients
- studies into mental illness
- electroshock therapy
As a child, Jung was confused by:
- his sister's odd behaviors
- his father's declining religious faith
- his mother's adulterous affairs
Jung reportedly wrote racist remarks about which group?
In what year did Jung decide that maybe Nazism wasn't such a great thing, after all?
What is the "collective unconscious?"
- accumulated experiences of the individual
- universal patterns and symbols
Early in his career, Jung used which kinds of tests to analyze patients?
- word association tests
- personality tests
- IQ tests
With regard to collective unconscious, how did Jung try to help people who thought their lives had lost meaning?
Jung wrote, "There is no coming to consciousness without …"
What was NOT one of Jung's four functions of the mind?
What word did Jung often use to describe the neuroses of a patient?
- value marker
During his research, Jung decided to do what?
- let his irrational mind take control
- physically harm himself and others
- lock himself in a closet
Jung wrote, "In all chaos there is a cosmos; in all disorder a secret ..."
What happened following the publication of Jung's "Psychology of the Unconscious" in 1912?
- No one ever saw it.
- He become renowned.
- Other psychologists rejected him.
Why did Jung and Freud fall out?
- Jung disagreed with some of Freud's ideas.
- Jung made a pass at Freud's wife.
- Freud grew jealous of Jung's increasing fame.
Which test was based on Jung's research?
- Symptom Checklist 90
- Briggs-Meyer test
- House-Tree-Person test
In Jungian psychology, what is the "anima"?
- unconscious desires
- feminine inner personality
- primal instincts
In Jung's work, the "shadow" refers to what?
- one's hidden capacity for good
- parts of the personality that one does not perceive
- the evil inside a person
Jung's 1921 "Psychological Types" highlighted what part of human psychology?
- that some people have no empathy
- that a person might be an extrovert or introvert
- that sexuality is a sliding scale
How many levels did Jung say there were in the development of the anima or animus?
In his work, Jung said that someone's "persona" is like what?
- a mask
- a caricature
- a mimic