Test Your Knowledge: Boston Celtics and Los Angeles Lakers
The NBA's two most legendary teams face off in a quiz for the ages. How much do you know about the Boston Celtics and Los Angeles Lakers?
How many times have the Celtics and Lakers met in the NBA Finals?
In the 1980's, the great Celtics vs. Lakers rivalry was best captured by the on-court battles between which two players?
- Wilt Chamberlain and Bill Russell
- Kareem Abdul-Jabar and Robert Parish
- Magic Johnson and Larry Bird
In 2007-2008, the Celtics made it to the Finals to face the Lakers thanks to their so-called Big Three, made up of who?
- Ray Allen, Paul Pierce and Nate Robinson
- Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen
- Kevin Garnett, Nate Robinson and Paul Pierce
After much deliberation, the Celtics passed on this Lakers legend in the 1996 draft.
- Kobe Bryant
- Steve Nash
- Pau Gasol
Altogether, the Celtics and Lakers have how many NBA championship banners?
The original "Big Three" in Boston consisted of which players?
- Kevin McHale, Robert Parish and Larry Bird
- Larry Bird, Dennis Johnson and Robert Parish
- Larry Bird, Robert Parish and Danny Ainge
The made-for-TV battles between these two players are often credited with saving the NBA from bankruptcy in the 1980's.
- Kareem Abdul-Jabar versus Robert Parish
- Larry Bird versus Kurt Rambis
- Magic Johnson versus Larry Bird
Magic Johson and Larry Bird actually ended up playing together on which team?
- The 1993 Minnesota Timberwolves
- The 1992 Olympic Team
- The 1994 All-Star Team
Which social issue lurked heavily as a backdrop between the on-court sparring between Magic Johnson and Larry Bird?
- the AIDS epidemic
- illegal drug use
- race relations
The relationship between Bill Russell and Wilt Chamberlain became famously icy because of what incident?
- Chamberlain kissed Russell's wife.
- Russell accused Chamberlain of giving up during a Finals game.
- Russell called Chamberlain a coward.
Which renowned Celtics players was selected eight spots ahead of Kobe Bryant in the 1996 draft?
- Antoine Walker
- Ray Allen
- Paul Pierce
In the 1980's, which coach famously led the Lakers to multiple championships?
- Phil Jackson
- K.C. Jones
- Pat Riley
What was the nickname given to the Lakers' dynamic, fast-paced offense?
1981, the Lakers acquired Magic Johnson and contracted to pay him how much per year?
- $10 million per year for 10 years
- $15 million per year for 15 years
- $1 million per year for $25 years
Which goggles-wearing Lakers player used his dynamic skills to bedevil Boston for years?
- Byron Scott
- James Worthy
- Sam Perkins
Why was the Lakers' 1985 title particularly notable?
- It was the team's first title with Magic Johnson
- It featured the biggest margin of victory in each game
- It was the first time a team had won a title on Boston's home court
After a blowout Finals loss to the Lakers, what did Larry Bird call his teammates?
The dominance of the Lakers and Celtics was usurped by which team?
- Chicago Bulls
- San Antonio Spurs
- Miami Heat
What facilities issue greatly affected both teams during Game 5 of the 1984 Finals in Boston?
- The lights kept flickering
- The air conditioning malfunctioned
- A water main broke and there was no working plumbing
What was the nickname of Kareem Abdul-Jabar's signature shot, which he used to great effect against the Celtics?
- the skyscraper
- sky hook
- baby cloud scraper
Lakers center Shaquille O'Neal gave Celtics player Paul Piece which nickname?
- The Dagger
- The Answer
- The Truth
In Game 1 of the 2008 Finals, Paul Pierce left the court on which contraption due to injury?
Which year did the Celtics and Lakers first meet in the Finals?
In game 4 of the 1985 Finals, the Lakers wrecked the Celtics by a score of 148-114, a beating so thorough it became known as what?
- The Memorial Day Massacre
- The Bloodiest Sunday
- The Boston Bombing
How many years had Boston been absent from the title game before they met the Lakers in the 2008 Finals?
How many points did Larry Bird average when he was named 1984 Finals MVP?
What was the name of Converse's basketball shoe line promoted by both Larry Bird and Magic Johnson?
Which Lakers player did Celtic Kevin McHale violently knock down during the 1984 Finals?
- Magic Johnson
- Kurt Rambis
- Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
During the 1980's, how many times did the Lakers play the Celtics in the Finals?
After the epic game 7 of the 2010 Finals, Kobe Bryant picked up his second Finals MVP Award. How many times was he named Finals MVP?