Do you know a lot about cheese? Good for you, I guess. The rest of us can test our knowledge about the More Solid Dairy here. You'll all be rewarded with a cube of cheddar.
We know that rennet is used to make cheese, but what is the stuff?
- a bacteria
- an enzyme
- an acid
What is one popular cheese origin story?
- A mouse nibbling some fermented milk gave a baker's wife the idea for cheese.
- An Arabian merchant, using a sheep's stomach for a pouch, found that his supply of milk turned into delicious curds at the end of a hot day.
- Cheese was discovered when a cow -- dead from staying out in the sun too long -- was dissected, and cheese was discovered in its stomach.
Who made sure not to leave home without cheese?
- Wallace and Gromit
- the Pilgrims
- every astronaut, ever
What nation is NOT in the top 5 in terms of cheese consumption?
- United States
How many cheeses in the UK have protected name status -- meaning that you can call the product by the name only if it's made in the certain geographical area?
Who coined the term "cheese-eating surrender monkeys"?
- Christopher Hitchens
- Conan O'Brien
- Groundskeeper Willie
What was the appeal of processed cheese, patented in 1916?
- its color
- the preservatives that kept the cheese from spoiling
- you could squeeze it out of a tube
While grilled cheese sandwiches have been popular for ages, when did the term "grilled cheese" actually come into the lexicon?
- the 1960s
- during the Renaissance
- in World War I
What makes a stinky cheese stink?
- washing the cheese
So the cheese stinks -- what does that mean for the cheese itself?
- it has a stronger taste
- it can only be eaten within a month of "ripening"
- it's less acidic
What is one actual stinky cheese name?
- The Stinking Bishop
- Chiselwick Death Eater
- Rank Officer
Little Miss Muffet isn't the only one who loves eating curds. But why do the tasty bits squeak when you eat them?
- You've gravely injured them.
- The proteins in the cheese are still quite flexible at curd stage.
- It's the sound of the bacteria popping.
What FDA policy statement caused an uproar in cheese-making circles?
- that cheese shouldn't be aged on wooden shelves
- that cheese shouldn't be aged for more than two weeks
- that processed cheese sometimes tastes really good on grilled cheese sandwiches, which is weird because it's mostly disgusting
What do you call a person who sells cheese?
- a cheeser
- a cheese monger
- a dairyman, even if it's a woman
It might not surprise you that Wisconsin produces the most cheese in the U.S., but what variety makes up the bulk of its production?
We can't leave the subject of Wisconsin cheese without mentioning cheeseheads. When did the Packers' fans adopt the term?
- at a Milwaukee Brewers game
- after Chicago fans started using it as an insult
Liz Lemon on "30 Rock" loves her cheese. What song did she sing to herself while eating the delicious dairy?
- "Since U Been Cheese"
- "Run the World (Cheese)"
- "Night Cheese"
What cheese-heavy dish do Canadians eat 55 percent more of than Americans?
- Kraft Macaroni and Cheese
- frozen pizza
- mozzarella sticks
What is the subject of the book "Who Moved My Cheese?"
- where the cheese went
- adjusting to change
- regulating the superego with regular doses of dairy
What cheese myth was so persistent that the cheese industry funded a study to examine it?
- that cheese caused nightmares
- that cheese caused acne
- that cheese caused you to lose interest in socializing with friends and family