Just as the game of chess can become a lifelong passion, so can chess puzzles. Show us how much you know about the terminology and rules behind the various kinds of chess puzzles.
What is the “stipulation” in a chess puzzle?
- the position of the chess pieces
- the task to be performed
- a necessary sacrifice
What's the name for a chess puzzle with the task “white to play and win in two moves?”
Which type of chess puzzle does not require completion in a certain number of moves?
Which kind of chess puzzle asks white to force black to deliver a checkmate, while black resists?
What's the name for a chess puzzle that requires a player to reconstruct the moves that led up to the given scenario?
- retrograde analysis puzzle
- deductive reasoning puzzle
- evaluation puzzle
In a chess problem, what is known as “the key?”
- the first move
- the checkmate move
- the black king
In what kind of chess puzzle might you find a nightrider?
- wizard chess
- elf chess
- fairy chess
What's the name for an incorrect first move in a chess problem?
A chess problem with more than one solution is said to be what?
What rule applies in a maximummer chess puzzle?
- White must deliver checkmate without sacrificing any white chessmen.
- White must deliver checkmate without taking any black chessmen.
- Black must make the longest move possible.