Childhood obesity is a growing epidemic around the world. The World Health Organization (WHO) estimates that, worldwide, 22 million kids under the age of 5 are overweight. Learn more about this epidemic with our childhood obesity quiz.
What percentage of U.S. kids does childhood obesity affect?
- about 5 percent
- about 12 percent
- about 17 percent
- about 25 percent
Which of the following is not considered an obesity-related problem?
- type-2 diabetes
- orthopedic problems
- high cholesterol
Fact or fiction: Childhood obesity is always caused by too much food and too little exercise.
What tool or tools are commonly used by pediatricians to determine if a child is overweight or obese?
- hemoglobin electrophoresis
- magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)
- Apgar score
- growth charts and body mass index charts
A child is considered obese when his or her body weight is _____ than recommended for his or her height and body style?
- 5 percent higher
- 10 percent higher
- 15 percent higher
- 25 percent higher
At what age does an obesity problem commonly begin to surface?
- at birth
- around 18 months
- between the ages of 2 and 3, and during pre-adolescence
- between the ages of 5 and 6, and during adolescence
According to the BMI for age charts, at what percentile is a child considered at risk for becoming overweight or obese?
- between the 85th and 95th percentiles
- between the 80th and 90th percentiles
- between the 75th and 85th percentiles
- between the 70th and 80th percentiles
Childhood obesity is linked to adult obesity -- the weight you carry as a child or teen carries with you into adulthood. Based on childhood obesity rates from 2000, researchers estimate that how many 35-year-olds will be obese in the year 2020?
- 12 percent of women and 9 percent of men
- 37 percent of women and 29 percent of men
- 44 percent of women and 37 percent of men
- 60 percent of women and 42 percent of men
What state has the highest rate of obesity in kids and teens ages 10 to 17?
What state has the lowest rate of obesity in kids and teens ages 10 to 17?
- West Virginia