Drinkers are bound to have a favorite cocktail, whether it's a fruity Cape Codder or a stiff sidecar. Cocktails have evolved from simple combinations of sugar, spirits and juice to complex blends of flavored syrups and infused liquors.
The original cocktail combined which ingredients?
- spirits, sugar, water and bitters
- spirits, sugar, water and lime juice
- spirits, tonic, bitters and lime zest
What turns a plain martini into a dirty martini?
A gimlet requires two specific ingredients. Which of the following is NOT in a gimlet?
- preserved lime juice
- fresh lime juice
According to mixologist Dale DeGroff, what is the maximum size a cocktail should be?
- 3 ounces
- 5 ounces
- 7 ounces
True or false: Absinthe was banned from the U.S. because it was thought to be a hallucinogen.
- Absinthe was banned, but any hallucinations were probably caused by its high alcohol content, not its other ingredients.
Which drink did Ernest Hemingway call his favorite?
What's the difference between a Tom Collins and a John Collins?
- A Tom Collins is made with gin, and a John Collins is made with whiskey.
- A Tom Collins is made with gin, and a John Collins is made with rum.
- There is no difference.
Where did the sidecar get its start?
- New York City
What ingredients are in a true Bellini?
- Prosecco and white peach puree
- champagne and yellow peach puree
- Prosecco and peach schnapps
Where does the "Irish" in Irish coffee come from?
- It's named for its birthplace: Ireland.
- It's spiked with Irish whiskey.
- It uses Irish cream liquor.