Money Matters: Collective Bargaining Quiz
The relationship between management and labor in America has always been contentious -- and sometimes deadly. Test your knowledge of the nation's labor laws and the collective bargaining process.
What does the acronym NLRA stand for?
- National Libertarian Rifle Association
- National Labor Relations Act
- New Labor Rights Association
When did Congress pass the National Labor Relations Act?
The NLRA also established which of the following Federal agencies?
- The Department of Labor
- The Union Rights Council
- The National Labor Relations Board
In 1950, there were 424 strikes involving 1,000 people or more in America. How many were there in 2009?
The NLRA estalbished the collective bargaining rights of private workers. When were those rights extended to federal employees?
Which of the following workers does NOT have the right to bargain collectively under the NLRA?
- Assembly line worker
- Factory accountant
- Factory supervisor
True or false: A worker must join a union to bargain collectively with management.
True or false: The NLRA requires the two sides of a labor dispute to resolve the issue through collective bargaining.
Which of the following is NOT an example of bargaining "in good faith?"
- Sending representatives with real decision-making power
- Meeting with reasonable frequency
- Striking before a collective bargaining agreement expires
Who are the three parties that must attend a collective bargaining negotiation?
- Group of workers, owners and their lawyers
- Workers representative, owners' representative and an arbitrator
- Union president, president of company and the press
What is the standard length of a collective bargaining agreement?
If either the union or management want to modify a collective bargaining agreement when it expires, who must they notify?
- Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service
- National Labor Relations Board
- Department of Labor
Which of the following is an example of an unfair labor practice under the NLRA?
- Paying workers less than they deserve
- Outsourcing jobs overseas
- Demoting a worker because she is passing around information about unionizing the workforce
Does a single collective bargaining agreement cover all unionized workers at a company?
- Yes, a single agreement covers all union workers
- No, each specific union needs its own collective bargaining agreement with management
- No, there are separate agreements for each type of employee
True or false: A collective bargaining agreement can make it illegal for workers to strike during the life of the contract.
According to the NLRA, if workers vote by a majority to join a union, is management required to negotiate a collective bargaining agreement with union representatives?
- Yes, as long as the union election was legally held by the NLRB
- No, unless the union proves that management has engaged in unfair labor practices
- No, as long as previous labor contracts haven't expired.
What is the term for a business that employs both union and non-union workers?
- Closed shop
- Open shop
- Mixed shop
Do the terms of employment in a collective bargaining agreement also cover non-union workers in an open shop?
Which of the following is NOT considered a mandatory subject that must be covered in a collective bargaining agreement?
- Seniority and promotion
- Procedure for filling supervisory positions
- Grievance procedure
Which professional sport holds the title for the longest work stoppage in American sports history?
- Major League Baseball
- National Basketball Association
- National Hockey League