Tech Talk: Computer Memory Quiz
Without memory, computers wouldn't be able to store data in any way. How much do you know about computer memory?
What kind of computer memory is both static and nonvolatile?
Where does most data go first within a computer's memory hierarchy?
What does BIOS stand for?
- Biological Internet operating system
- Binary inner/outer stages
- Basic input/output system
When your computer's speed begins to drop, which element of memory is likely overtaxed?
What is a clock cycle?
- The accuracy of a computer's internal clock compared to an external one
- The CPU's processing speed
- The amount of time it takes for a computer to recover something from memory after booting up
What is a memory cache?
- The amount of memory your computer has on hand for any particular task
- An outdated memory storage device
- A temporary memory storage device that keeps certain data available for quick reference
In the world of computers, what is bus width?
- The size of the vehicle used to ship the computer
- The number of pins in a computer port
- The number of bits that can be sent to a CPU simultaneously
What is latency?
- The number of clock cycles needed to read a particular bit of information.
- The gap between a processor's speed and a computer's bus speed.
- Anything that causes a computer memory crash.
Which kind of computer memory is the first to activate when you turn on your computer?
How does virtual memory free up RAM?
- It partitions the computer's operating system, freeing up RAM in the process.
- It looks for data in RAM that hasn't been used much, copies that data to the hard drive and frees up RAM for other processes.
- It converts other kinds of memory into RAM temporarily on an as-needed basis.