The Confederate Army Quiz
After Southern states seceded and sparked the Civil War, they took up arms to defend their claims to sovereignty. How much do know about the Confederate Army?
In comparison to the Union Army, what was the strength of the Confederate Army?
- It was a little larger.
- It was about the same size.
- It was half the size.
How many men served in the regular Confederate Army (instead of the provisional army)?
In what year did the Confederate States Army resort to a draft?
Which battle resulted in the second-highest number of casualties in the war?
- Battle of Gettysburg
- Battle of Chickamauga
- Battle of Vicksburg
About how many men served in the Confederate Army during the war?
- 1.5 million
About how many Confederate soldiers were probably killed due to combat?
- About 100,000
- About 200,000
- About 260,000
How likely was a Confederate general to die during battle compared to a lowly enlisted man?
- 50% more likely than an enlisted man
- 50% less likely than an enlisted man
- 200% less likely than an enlisted man
What position did Leroy P. Walker hold in the Confederate Army?
- Secretary of War
How many men served as Secretary of War for the Confederacy?
Once conscription started, what was required of volunteer soldiers who were already serving in the Confederate Army?
- They were forced to serve in other Army positions to make room for new soldiers.
- They were required to serve two more years.
- They were allowed to go home.
About how many Confederate soldiers died from sickness or in prison camps?
How many U.S. Army officers resigned from their posts to go and serve in the Confederacy at the start of the war?
- About one-third
- About half
- About three-quarters
How did the Confederate Army obtain enough horses for its war efforts?
- They raided Northern camps and took their mounts.
- Soldiers brought their own.
- Imported them from other countries, such as Mexico
About how many Confederate soldiers deserted during the span of the conflict?
At the outset of the war, what was the strategy of the Southern forces?
- Make the North come to them
- Invade and force the North to surrender
- Guerilla warfare at every opportunity
About how much did a Confederate Army private make in one month?
Why did the Confederate Army turn away volunteers at the start of the war?
- The Army wanted more regular soldiers instead of volunteers.
- The Army was sure it had more than enough men.
- The Army was short on supplies.
How many volunteer soldiers did the Confederates fail to deploy because of equipment shortages at the beginning of the war?
Why did the Confederates often wear captured Union uniforms?
- The Union uniforms were much better quality.
- To trick Union forces
- They didn't have enough of their own uniforms.
In 1864, Jefferson Davis publicly announced that what percentage of Confederate soldiers were AWOL (away without leave)?
- About 65%
- About 50%
- About 25%
Per capita, which Southern state provided the most soldiers to the Confederate Army?
- North Carolina
You could acquire an exemption from the draft if you owned how many slaves?
What was Josiah Gorgas' primary role in the Confederate Army?
- Munitions logistics
- He was a blockade runner.
- He managed the POW camps.
When did the Confederacy finally allow blacks to serve in the army?
Each subgroup in the Confederate Army was named after what?
- A city in the North that they hoped to conquer
- A famous general of the past
- The state of the group's origin
In spite of effective Union blockades, how many rifles did the Confederates manage to import?
How many men were conscripted into the Confederate Army?
- About 20,000
- About 80,000
- About 110,000
Why did most draft-eligible Southern men wind up volunteering instead of waiting for the draft?
- Men who were drafted were shamed.
- They knew they'd wind up being drafted anyway, so why not?
- They wanted to turn the tide of the war against the North.
The first Confederate draft required the registration of all able-bodied men between which ages?
- 18 and 35
- 18 and 40
- 17 and 50
How many men did the Confederate Army lose at Gettysburg and Vicksburg?