The Ultimate Country Decorating Quiz
Rustic simplicity is in. Country decorating ideas add timelessness and dignity to your country home. Take this dignified quiz on country decorating ideas.
In the old days, how did they use to furnish country homes?
- with practical furnishings that were easily accessible
- with intricately sewn, hand-crafted embroideries
- with pewter-timber combinations
Traditionally, where do American homes get their rugs and silver from?
- rugs from the Middle East, silver from Africa
- rugs from Asia, silver from Europe
- rugs from the Orient, silver from Mexico
How is "new traditional" furnishing style characterized?
- formality and precision
- symmetry, grace and elegance
- arty and soft
Eighteenth-century Queen Anne and Chippendale pieces are _____
- relatively cheap these days
- astronomically expensive nowadays
- no longer popular
Chintz originated from _____
- the West Indies
- British India
Pastel-colored quilts were typical of what decade?
- the 1930s
- the 1960s
- the 1980s
What did early-American pioneer homes often look like?
- wrought-iron structures
- ostentatious mansions
- simple log cabins
Mission furniture reflects the 1900s mood of the _____
- Wild West
- Arts and Crafts Movement
In terms of upholstery, which of these is considered classic?
- Chinese, Korean and Portuguese
- Italian, Polish, Russian and Norwegian
- English, French, German and Swedish
What were some popular interior colors between the 1920s and 1950s?
- royal blue, pale orange and beige
- red, brown and yellow
- mint green, yellow and lilac
"Fresh country style" furnishings combine old and new simplicities according to the adage _____
- "form follows function"
- "function follows form"
- "function and form lead the way"
Early American Shaker style can be said to be _____
- modern, with a touch of class
- classic and suitable for all eras and ages
- rigid although austere and sensible
If you wanted to create a chic touch to your home, what could you do?
- hang nouveau art jewelry along the walls and light fittings
- apply splashes of color to the walls with cheerful paintwork
- use sophisticated modern fabrics and timeless stripes
What styles were popular during the American Revolution?
- Royalist and Confederate styles
- Imperial and Coronation styles
- Georgian and Federal styles
What type of porches were characteristic of American rustic style?
- large, welcoming porches
- large, off-bounds porches for airiness
- small porches for function and simplicity
What in your home is reminiscent of Italian stoneworkers?
- oak and chestnut paneling
- porcelain tiles, limestone floors and granite counter tops
- rich, vibrant-hued drapes and floral floor patterning
How could you decorate your home with an "old homestead", memories-of-grandma look?
- with primary color schemes and paisley contrasts
- with open spaces and quaint niches
- with charming, old furniture and a sage-violet color scheme
In a room paneled with brick or wood, what sort of look is created by Art-and-Crafts-style furnishings?
How can you create an appropriate color scheme in your country-home living areas?
- by toning it with quiet, natural hues
- by spicing it with rich, lustrous tones
- by whitewashing the walls