The Ultimate Craft Beer Quiz
Big beer companies still rule the world, but smaller (and more creative) brewers are flooding the market with tasty and complex beers every day. How much do you know about craft beer?
Which company is the largest craft brewer in the United States?
- New Belgium
- Boston Beer Co. (Samuel Adams)
As of early 2016, how many craft breweries are there in the United States?
To be considered a microbrewery, a company's production cannot exceed what?
- 5,000 barrels
- 15,000 barrels
- 25,000 barrels
What's the average calorie content of a pumpkin ale?
- 180 calories
- 240 calories
- 300 calories
Most of the market for craft beers falls into which age range?
- 21 to 33
- 26 to 34
- 35 to 49
Which state ranks dead last in the number of craft breweries per capita?
In 2008, there were 1,523 craft breweries in the United States. How many were there in 2014?
What is currently the most popular craft beer style in America?
By volume, small and independent brewers make up about how much of the U.S. beer market?
By dollars spent, how does the market share for craft beers stack up against the beer market as a whole?
- Craft beers make up about 21% of sales.
- Craft beers make up about 12% of sales.
- Craft beers make up about 8% of sales.
As of 2016, how many different beer styles are recognized by the Brewers Association?
How do craft brewers introduce smoky flavor into smoked beers?
- They use an open flame.
- Artificial ingredients
- Cubes of "smoked" flavor crystals
What is the alcohol content of Sam Adams' Utopia?
Why do many craft beers lose flavor if they are too cold?
- cold beer releases fewer aromatics
- cold deadens your taste buds
- all beer tastes better ice cold
What is one defining characteristic of a so-called "session beer?"
- packaged in greater quantities
- less bitter than many craft beers
- lower alcohol content
Which U.S. state has the most craft breweries?
How many craft brewing companies are there in California?
- more than 300
- more than 400
- more than 500
Why do craft beers go bad when stored at warm temperatures for long periods of time?
- They often are not pasteurized.
- They have higher sugar content.
- They use huge amounts of yeast.
What was the approximate dollar amount of the U.S. craft beer market in 2015?
- $9 billion
- $13 billion
- $22 billion
How do flaked oats affect a stout's mouthfeel?
- The mouthfeel is thinner.
- Mouthfeel becomes silkier.
- The mouthfeel is noticeably thicker.
Why does Dogfish Head Brewery call one of its beers a "90 Minute IPA?"
- The hops are boiled for 90 minutes.
- It's so strong you can only have one every 90 minutes.
- It took the brewer only 90 minutes to come up with the recipe.
What is a trait that defines the brewing process for ales?
- lower quantities of yeast
- warm fermentation
- lots of refined sugar
What color is Struise's Black Damnation?
Westbrook Gose beer is unique because it tastes like what?
Which state ranks first in terms of breweries per capita?
Which U.S. state ranks dead last in the number of craft brewing companies?
- North Dakota
- Rhode Island
What makes a beer a "dry-hopped" beer?
- The hops are sourced from at least three geographical areas.
- Hops are added to the bottle during fermentation.
- The hops are boiled for twice as long as other beers.
If your beer has a fruity character, you may be drinking which style?
How do sour beers get their unique flavor?
What makes the primary difference between an American pale ale and an English pale ale?
- the hops
- the brewing location
- the barley