Quiz: Is it Safe to Deposit Money Through an ATM?
How safe is it to deposit cash and checks at an ATM? Take this quiz to check what you need to know before depositing your money in an ATM.
When depositing money through an ATM, what should you write on the envelope?
- deposit amount
- your name
- your account number
What does a bank employee do after removing your deposit envelope from the ATM?
- confirms the deposit amount recorded by the ATM matches what's inside the envelope
- examines each bill and check for signs of counterfeit
- calls the financial institution of each check's account holder
How do banks prevent customers from fraudulently claiming they deposited more than they actually did at an ATM?
- by not making funds available until they have been checked by an employee
- by prosecuting people who commit this type of fraud
- by only accepting cash deposits at ATMs
What do experts recommend as a best practice when it comes to ATM deposits?
- Don't deposit cash through an ATM.
- Photocopy all cash and checks before depositing.
- Only deposit checks with a live teller.
What technological advancement is cutting down on the problems of depositing checks at ATMs?
- digitally scanning checks as they are deposited
- more secure ATM locations
- automatic counterfeit detection
What is a problem with ATMs that scan checks upon deposit?
- Illegible checks require a visit to a teller.
- They have led to more advanced methods of fraud.
- They require more physical space.
What added security measure should you take advantage of when depositing checks at an ATM that scans?
- printing an image of the check on your receipt
- depositing a fake check to test the scanner's accuracy
- depositing each check in a separate transaction
How do financial planners recommend you prevent problems with bank deposits?
- checking your online bank statements frequently
- only making deposits with live tellers
- writing down every transaction in at least two places
What is "skimming?"
- reading and storing the card information of ATM users via a hidden device
- claiming that you deposited more than you actually did
- depositing multiple copies of the same check at different ATMs
What new service does USAA bank offer to its customers?
- the ability to deposit checks using an iPhone
- digital scans of fingerprints at ATMs
- predictive fraud prevention technologies