Depression can sneak up on you when you least expect it. Test your knowledge of this illness with our depression quiz.
True or False: Twice as many women as men are affected by a depressive disorder each year.
True or False: Women are more likely than men to die of suicide.
What percentage of women suffering from clinical depression will seek help?
- more than 80 percent
- about 70 percent
- fewer than 50 percent
True or False: Depression is just another word for sadness and emotional downs that can be expected in life.
True or False: Depression is incurable. Only the symptoms can be treated.
What percentage of new mothers suffer from postpartum depression?
- 5 to 10 percent
- 10 to 15 percent
- 15 to 20 percent
Which age group of women is most likely to be depressed?
- 18 to 24
- 25 to 44
- 45 to 60
How long do symptoms typically last in patients diagnosed with chronic depression?
- two or more years
- six consecutive months
- through the winter months
How many symptoms need to be present and for how long to be diagnosed with a depressive disorder?
- at least two depressive symptoms after watching a romantic drama
- at least five depressive symptoms that last at least two weeks
- at least one depressive symptom for a week
When depressive symptoms only occur in the wintertime, this is called:
- Secondary Depression Disorder (SDD)
- Temporary Social Disorder (TSD)
- Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)
Electroconvulsive Therapy (ECT) or shock therapy is usually used on what type of patient?
- both types of patients
Sometimes, psychotherapy is needed to treat depression. Which of the following is NOT a main type of psychotherapy?
- interpersonal therapy (IPT)
- grief therapy
- cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT)
Which of the following describes problems that people suffering from catatonic depression encounter?
- holding awkward poses for extended periods of times
- mimicking another person’s speech or movements
- both answers are symptoms of catatonic depression
What percentage of alcoholics credit depression as their reason for drinking?
- 5 to 10 percent
- 10 to 20 percent
- 25 percent
Which of the following is NOT a reason why people who are depressed are more likely to suffer from heart disease?
- Anti-depressant medication counteracts heart medication.
- Depressed people tend to smoke and drink alcohol more often and exercise less.
- Plaque forms in their arteries caused by mental stress.
What other treatment is used when medications and psychotherapy are not effective?
- electroconvulsive therapy (ECT)
- body psychotherapy
What percent of people diagnosed with depression also suffer from disordered sleep behaviors?
- 30 percent
- 80 percent
- 50 percent
Which is NOT a factor from which depression could result?
Which of the following is NOT another name for major depressive disorder?
- manic depression
- unipolar depression
- clinical depression
What percentage of heart attack victims become depressed after their trauma?
- 20 percent
- 50 percent
- 5 percent