DIDO is helping machines think by turning large amounts of data on ever-changing conditions into a sequence of best responses. Take the quiz to see how much DIDO you know.
What organization markets the DIDO software?
What is Dido's Problem?
- a logic problem dealing with conditionals
- a calculus problem dealing with equations
- a mathematical problem dealing with areas
Which calculus theory is behind the design of DIDO software?
- optimal control
- optimal calculations
- differential equations
What is the biggest challenge for finding optimal control?
- not enough time to make calculations
- ever-changing conditions over time
- round-off errors
True or False: DIDO software was used successfully on the International Space Station (ISS).
Who created DIDO software?
- Isaac "Mike" Ross
- Fariba Fahroo
- Bill Gates
DIDO is ideally suited to solve optimal control problems in autonomous systems. What's an autonomous system?
- a laptop or desktop computer
- a robot that can determine its own sequence of instructions
- a simulator for a given scenario
True or False: DIDO has been used to calculate optimal control for an undersea glider.
Besides helping calculate trajectories, what other benefit has DIDO brought to flight control?
- improved fuel efficiency for aircraft
- lighter aircraft
- smaller aircraft
The TRACE satellite was orbiting what object?
How had NASA been slewing objects in space prior to the 2010 TRACE satellite research?
- in a pre-calculated arc
- in an arbitrary arc
- in a straight line
How many zero-propellant maneuvers (ZPMs) were performed on the International Space Station in 2006 and 2007?
DIDO's creator was a professor at what school?
- U.S. Naval Postgraduate School
- U.S. Naval Academy
- University of California at Berkeley
Pseudospectral optimal control is most like which of the following in nature?
- water flowing from mountains all the way to the ocean
- constant stimulus-response actions in the human brain
- photosynthesis in plants
What operating system must you be running in order to install and use DIDO?
- Microsoft Windows
DIDO was developed for what scientific computing platform?
Which of the following was one of the primary reasons to move the International Space Station without using thrusters?
- The thrusters were damaged and repairs were behind schedule.
- The station no longer had access to the propellant it needed for the thrusters.
- The propellant used in the thrusters is extremely expensive.
What is the acronym used to refer to the International Space Station maneuvers accomplished without using thrusters.
Which calculus theory involves using approximate values in optimal control calculations?
- Bernoulli's principle
- Persistent recalculation theory
- Pseudospectral theory
How long was the TRACE maneuvering research team given to perform its experiments?