When it comes to diet and fitness, how much do you know? Test your knowledge! (Adapted from YOU: The Owner's Manual, by Mehmet Oz and Dr. Michael Roizen)
Which of the following is the best advice about diets?
- The less you eat, the more weight you lose.
- Would somebody please pass the bacon?
- The best diet is one you can follow forever.
- A good weight-loss diet includes foods with little to no fat.
What is the greatest threat to your arteries?
- An elevated blood pressure of 160/90
- An elevated LDL (bad) cholesterol of 200
- An elevated helping of fried zucchini sticks
- An elevated amount of time spent on the couch
What food has qualities least similar to that of an addictive drug?
- No. 2 with a large Coke and a chocolate shake
- Sugary cereals
Which of the following is not an inherited taste?
- Adam Sandler movies
Which trick has been shown scientifically to help you eat less at a meal?
- Eating a lot at your previous meal
- Drinking a non-diet soft drink before your meal
- Eating fat at the start of every meal
- Duct tape
What is the most likely effect of training for and running a marathon?
- You will develop the cardiovascular endurance of elite athletes.
- You will do long-term damage to you bones and joints.
- You will breathe in a lethal amount of toxins if you race in a large city.
- You'll win a role as Bond's girl.
What's the primary role of your muscles?
- To sell jeans on TImes Square billboards
- To store carbohydrates and sugars that your body digests
- To help us move, think, breathe and urinate
- To justify a gym membership
What are the three best forms of physical activity?
- Cardiovascular exercise, weight training, any other
- Walking, running, swimming
- Morning sex, afternoon sex, evening sex
- Does taking a shower count as physical activiy?
Which of the following is most important when training with weights?
- That you do enough repetitions and weight so that your muscles fatigue
- That you use exercise machines
- That you have a good view of the mirror
- That you follow the form of other people in the gym
Walking with "little" three-pound dumbbells in your hands is . . . :
- A good way to build muscle and get a cardiovascular workout
- An easy way to increase your calorie burn dramatically
- Putting you at risk for shoulder surgery
- A heck of a lot better than walking with three-pound ankle weights