Quiz: Do you know how to clean your walls?
If your grandmother didn't tell you her secrets for keeping walls clean, we will. Take our quiz to polish up on your knowledge of some old-fashioned tips to make your walls shine.
What sandwich ingredient may remove smears and soil stains from wallpaper?
- sliced bread
What kind of bread is best for cleaning wallpaper?
- multigrain bread
- pumpernickel bread
- white bread
How can you use bread to clean wallpaper?
- Brush away dirt and dust.
- Wad up the center of the bread to use as an eraser.
- both of the above
What is blotting paper?
- gift wrap
- writing paper
- absorbent paper
Where can you buy blotting paper?
- craft store
- grocery store
- car parts store
How do you use blotting paper to clean grease spots from wallpaper?
- Lay blotting paper on the greasy spots.
- Heat the greasy spot with a hot iron.
- both answers
How close should the iron be to the blotting paper?
- right against the paper
- 2 inches or so (5 centimeters) away
- about 6 inches (15 centimeters) away
What safety precaution should you take when using blotting paper to remove grease spots from wallpaper?
- Have a fire extinguisher on hand.
- Wear an oven mitt.
- Wear safety glasses.
What may happen to painted walls if you use commercial cleaning products on them?
- dulls the color
- removes the paint
- ruins the surface
What household product can you use to clean painted walls?
What precaution should you take when using the ammonia solution?
- Wear gloves.
- Put drop cloths over furniture.
- Turn off the electricity.
What bathroom product can remove scuff marks from painted walls?
- shaving cream
What mixture can you use to clean walls with oil-finished woodwork?
- turpentine and linseed oil
- castile soap and lavender oil
- talcum powder and baby oil
What should you do if the wood looks very oily after applying the turpentine and linseed oil mixture?
- Buff it away.
- Wipe up any excess and then leave it alone.
- Wash it with liquid dish soap and water.
What safety precaution should you take when using turpentine and linseed oil?
- Do not smoke.
- Ventilate the room.
- both of the above