The Ultimate Dual Flush Toilet Quiz
The dual flush toilet is a water-saving milestone in the history of indoor plumbing. Learn how dual flush toilets work and how they can replace older toilets.
Who invented the modern toilet?
- Thomas Crapper
- Jacques Commode
- It was a group effort that evolved over time.
When was the first flush toilet patent filed?
What was a milestone moment in the history of plumbing in America?
- moving toilets indoors from the outhouse
- changing the name from privy to toilet
- flushing every time the toilet is used
Which of the following characteristics is distinct to the shelf toilet?
- It is square in shape.
- It is installed on an elevated platform.
- It separates liquid and solid waste.
Dual flush toilets have caught on in which water-challenged country?
How much water do modern dual flush toilets use to flush liquid waste?
- less than 1 gallon (about 3 liters)
- 2 gallons (6 liters)
- 5 gallons (19 liters)
What was the plumbing breakthrough that paved the way for dual flush technology?
- a large diameter trapway
- a hose that extracted solids from liquids
- the two-button flushing system
Dual flush toilets employ what method to flush waste?
- a siphoning tube
- a large trapway and wash-down flush
- reverse gravity
When should you use a full flush with a dual flush toilet?
- Use a full flush when cleaning the toilet.
- Use a full flush only for solid waste.
- Every other flush should be a full flush.
What is the main cosmetic drawback of the dual flush toilet?
- It's harder to keep clean than a standard toilet.
- It only comes in white.
- The toilet seat is smaller than a standard toilet.
When replacing your standard toilet with a dual flush model, which measurement is most important?
- height of toilet
- width of bowl
- rough-in measurement
What is the first step to install a new toilet?
- Disconnect the water hose from the toilet.
- Remove the bolts that hold your existing toilet to the floor.
- Turn off the water supply to the toilet.
How do retrofit kits that convert your standard toilet to dual flush work?
- They give you the option of partial or full toilet flush.
- They change the system to a wash-down flush.
- They widen the trapway.
What is the last step when installing a new toilet of any type?
- Turn on the water supply.
- Install the toilet seat.
- Reconnect the supply hose.
Which law governs toilet water conservation in the United States?
- National Water Requirement Act
- National Toilet and Shower Act
- National Energy Policy Act
How do local and state governments encourage consumers to invest in more water-efficient toilet technologies?
- tax incentives
- vouchers for free toilet upgrades
Toilets account for approximately how much of the average home's indoor water usage?
- 20 percent
- 30 percent
- 40 percent
How many times a day does the average person flush the toilet?
- five to eight
- six to 10
- eight to 12
How many gallons of water could Americans save each day by upgrading their older toilets to new dual flush toilets?
- 1 billion gallons (3.8 billion liters)
- 2 billion gallons (7.6 billion liters)
- 3 billion gallons (11.3 billion liters)
What is the biggest threat to our water supply?
- lax environmental regulation
- global warming
- population increases