Body Works: Human Emotions Quiz
How are you feeling today? Are you jumping for joy, or did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed? How much do you know about why it is you feel the way you do?
What is jealousy?
- Wanting something that someone else has, such as a fast car
- The fear of losing something, like a promotion, to someone else
- Depression caused by not achieving goals
Where did the phrase "green with envy" come from?
- People became competitive about the size of their bank accounts when the United States began printing money with green ink.
- Aesop used the phrase in one of his fables in relation to a jealous turtle.
- The ancient Greeks believed that jealousy resulted in the overproduction of bile, turning human skin a light shade of green.
What part of the brain activates the "fight or flight" response that occurs when a person is frightened?
Fear extinction involves creating a conditioned response that counters the conditioned fear response. What happens in the brain during fear extinction therapy?
- Fear-extinction memories are stored in the amygdala, so that they crowd out the conditioned fear memories that are stored there.
- Fear extinction memories are stored throughout the brain so that they can fight off any fear memories that appear.
- Fear-extinction memories are stored in the medial prefrontal cortex. From there, they will override the fear memories triggered in the amygdala.
How many young people in the United States suffer from depression?
- One in eight adolescents and one in 33 children experience major depression.
- One in four adolescents and one in 117 children experience major depression.
- One in three adolescents and one in 78 children experience major depression.
How do the brains of people with depression differ from the brains of people who don't have depression?
- The brains of people with depression are slightly larger.
- The brains of people with depression have abnormal levels of neurotransmitters.
- The brains of people with depression have lumps.
Which brain chemical is NOT responsible for the initial giddiness that comes with new love?
What percentage of mammals, aside from human beings, form family relationships based on love?
- 3 percent
- 10 percent
- 25 percent
What emotion is believed to be the common denominator in most acts of hatred?
Which of these is the most appropriate way to deal with anger?
- Sitting alone in a room, punching a pillow
- Throwing a chair, so that the person who made you angry learns never to do it again
- Talking with the person who made you angry