Test Your Knowledge: Skin Care for Darker Skin
There are lots of myths about darker skin. Is it really immune to skin cancer? Does black really not crack? Take the quiz to find out!
What is the level of natural protection against sun rays in darker skin?
What is the name of the pigment that makes up skin color?
Skin damage as small as a scratch can cause what type of damage to darker skin?
- no damage
- dark spots or patches
What is a keloid?
- discolored patch
- raised scar
Which of the following is a correct statement regarding the relationship between darker skin and skin cancer?
- Skin cancer is more common for those with darker skin.
- Skin cancer is less common for those with darker skin.
- The color of the skin is not a factor for the onset of skin cancer.
There is no need for moisturizing darker skin because it has all the moisture and oil it needs naturally.
For people with darker skin, what is recommended when taking certain medications?
- apply sunscreen
- visit dermatologist
Why does aging occur much later in darker skin?
- The epidermis is stronger in darker skin.
- Collagen is more compact in darker skin.
- Blood vessels are wider in darker skin.
Until recently, what procedure was NOT an option for people with darker skin because of the side effects like scarring and blistering?
- laser hair removal
- chemical peel
Which of the following is true regarding the relationship between melanin particles and the range of skin color?
- Darker skin people produce more melanin particles.
- Darker skin people produce less melanin particles.
- The number of melanin particles doesn’t determine the skin color.