Decades after its release, it is still one of the creepiest and scariest movies ever made. How much do you know about "The Exorcist"?
True or False: "The Exorcist" is based on a real-life story.
In what year was "The Exorcist" released to theaters?
What was the religion of the family that inspired the movie?
How many people supposedly witnessed the real-life exorcism of the boy, who was known by the pseudonym "Roland Doe"?
Who directed the movie?
- Stanley Kubrick
- William Friedkin
- William Blatty
Which actress played the role of the possessed 12-year-old girl?
- Tatum O'Neal
- Ellen Burstyn
- Linda Blair
What does Regan say to the astronaut, who is preparing to go to space at the beginning of the movie?
- "They're going to tear you apart."
- "You're gonna die up there."
- "They're here."
What is the name of the demon that takes possession of poor Regan?
What was the movie's approximate final budget?
- about $7 million
- about $12 million
- about $28 million
How much did "The Exorcist" make at the box office?
- more than $100 million
- more than $200 million
- more than $400 million
How was Ellen Burstyn hurt during filming?
- The demon slapped her.
- A crew member yanked her to the ground.
- She fell from a balcony.
How did Linda Blair alter her voice to sound like a scary demon during the possession scenes?
- She didn't actually make those sounds.
- She gargled a weird chemical cocktail.
- She smoked cigarettes.
How did McCambridge prepare her body to create demonic sounds?
- She put fatty meat in a blender and swallowed it whole.
- She ate raw eggs and got drunk.
- She regurgitated oatmeal.
How did the The New York Times review rate the movie?
- The review was neutral.
- It skewered the film.
- It lavished praise.
Why was the film's original working score discarded?
- It sounded like classical music.
- It sounded like a children's lullaby.
- It was too scary.
Who was the original choice for the role of Father Merrin?
- Jack Nicholson
- Marlon Brando
- John Wayne
Why was Max von Sydow selected for the role of Father Merrin?
- He looked like the priest who performed the real-life exorcism.
- He was just the right age.
- He was an up-and-coming star.
The films opening scenes were filmed in which country?
What substance makes up the "vomit" that Regan pukes onto Father Karras in one famous scene?
- motor oil
- actual vomit
- pea soup
How old was Max von Sydow's character in the movie?
In the middle of shooting, why was filming for the movie delayed by two months?
- Religious types protested filming.
- There was a labor strike.
- The set caught fire.
Due to the film's content, what did some movie theaters provide?
- vomit bags
- security guards
What was one primary reason that Linda Blair was selected for the part of Regan?
- She was mentally mature.
- She was totally naïve.
- She had just the right look.
What did film critic Roger Ebert have to say about the film's rating?
- He had no comment.
- He thought the R was too much.
- He thought the film should have an X-rating.
True or False: Adjusted for inflation, "The Exorcist" would be the second-highest grossing R-rated film in history.
After watching the movie, why did one audience member sue Warner Bros.?
- He was traumatized.
- He found it blasphemous.
- He passed out and hurt himself.
In which city is the story set?
- Washington, D.C.
- New York City
Why did crew members have to wear coats during filming of some scenes?
- Some scenes were shot in a freezer.
- They were working outside in winter.
- All that vomit kept getting on their clothes.
What do people believe was the real reason the boy that inspired the story seemed to be possessed?
- He was mentally ill.
- He made up the whole thing for attention.
- No one knows for sure.
For how many Academy Awards was the film nominated?