There are several mental disorders, and many people you know suffer from them. Check out this mental disorders quiz and see how much you know about how they affect those who suffer from them.
In developed nations, what medical condition is diagnosed most?
- mental illness
- heart disease
- Lyme disease
How are mental disorders best treated?
- medical intervention and psychotherapy
- shock therapy
- psychotherapy alone
- there is no treatment
Which of the following symptoms do autistic children often display?
- hearing loss
- poor communication and social interaction skills
- severe bruising
- spontaneous sleep
At what age is autism usually noticed?
- by age 3
- before birth
- by 6 months
- about age 12
Which is NOT a symptom of schizophrenia?
- catatonic behavior
- ability to solve difficult math problems
What does a person with bipolar disorder experience?
- extreme shifts in body temperature from hot to cold
- mood swings from one extreme to another
- sexual attraction to both men and women
- menopausal and premenstrual symptoms
Which of the following mental disorders can be treated with medication and therapy?
- bipolar disorder
- panic disorder
- all of the above
Agoraphobia is the fear of ______ .
- open spaces
What anxiety disorder do many war veterans suffer from?
What is OCD?
- a fear of open and closing doors
- abuse of over-the-counter drugs
- occupational control disorder
- obsessive-compulsive disorder
Which is NOT a symptom of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder?
- lack of focus
- fidgety behavior
- impulsive behavior
What is one cause of ADHD in children?
- premature birth
- too much sugar
- too much TV
- chocolate and caffeine during mother's pregnancy
Why do many women suffer from eating disorders?
- They are afraid of growing up.
- They have complex biological and psychological problems.
- They want to impress others with how skinny they can be.
- They like how they look.
Which is NOT a sign of an eating disorder?
- eating only orange foods (carrots, cheese curls, oranges)
- excessive exercise
- use of laxatives
- obsession with food
What mental illness do many criminals suffer from?
- anexoria nervosa
- split personality disorder
- avoidant personality disorder
- antisocial personality disorder
What do people with borderline personality disorder experience?
- They usually do not cross the boundary of their yard.
- They are unstable and impulsive.
- They have trouble determining their sexual preference.
- They have very strong feelings about immigration reform.
Which phobia is the fear of heights?
The movie 'The Deer Hunter' deals with which mental disorder?
- post-traumatic stress disorder
- fear of animals
- fear of blood
Among what group of people are mood disorders found more often?
- Single people without a 'significant other'
- the poor
- the wealthy
How can people with with mood disorders find relief?
- ignoring the problem and hoping it will go away
- anti-depressant medications and psychotherapy