It's not easy to raise a family on a budget. Take this quiz to test your knowledge of money saving ideas and strategies that keep the family happy.
What does an energy audit provide?
- It'll tell you if some of your windows aren't sealed correctly and how to fix them to save on energy costs.
- a costly plan that will tell you how to save electricity
- a new dishwasher
What money-saving designation should you look for when buying a new appliance?
- A sticker that says "40% off."
- An ENERGY STAR designation.
- A Consumer Reports sticker.
How much money does a CFL lightbulb save over the course of its use?
- They don't save money, but they do save energy.
- They'll save you about 40 bucks.
- CFL lightbulbs actually cost more money than regular lightbulbs, but they save about $4 in the long run.
How much money will you save by lowering your thermostat ten degrees every night?
- It'll save you roughly $80.
- It might actually cost more because raising it back up will take more energy.
- You'll reduce about 10 percent of the cost of energy.
What's another good reason to carpool besides just saving gas?
- It's just fun to sing along to Beyonce with someone.
- It actually adds money to the economy.
What's one drawback of extreme couponing?
- paper cuts
- People at the checkstand hate you for taking so long.
- You run the risk of buying items just for the sake of saving money.
How do online swap sites work?
- They match you up with similar families with similar swapping needs.
- You just post items you have and browse what items you'd like in return.
- They give you a list of swap meets in your area.
How soon can you get evicted from your apartment for not paying your rent?
- one month
- You have to miss at least three months' rent before your landlord can take action.
- within three days of the missed date
What are some consequences of a bad credit rating for your family?
- higher interest on credit cards
- failure to secure a loan
- both of the above
Instead of buying expensive household cleaners, what common items in your pantry can you use?
- apple peels and lemon rinds
- coffee grounds and hot sauce
- vinegar and baking soda
What do Americans annually spend roughly $8,300 per person on?
- junk food
What healthcare services can you receive at a free or reduced price from drugstores or clinics?
- over -the-counter asthma medicines
- vaccines and flu shots
What food can you easily grow in an apartment or small space?
- onion and tomato plants
How much does an average family of four spend at a fast food restaurant?
How much does a homemade roasted chicken, vegetables, salad and milk for four to six people save, compared to the $28 average cost of a fast food trip for a family of four?
- It doesn't save you money; fast food is cheaper.
- about $5.
- about $14
What's one trick for getting the most out of grocery coupons?
- Don't bother using them; they're actually more expensive than buying generic brands.
- Use ten or more at a time.
- Wait a few weeks to use them.
What weekly task will allow you to cut down your grocery bill?
- Exercising; you'll want to eat less.
- Planning meals a week ahead.
- Buying produce only once a week.
What's a cheap way to entertain the whole family?
- Going to the museum.
- Renting a movie.
- Going camping.
Where can you find cheap chidcare?
- the family next door
- the kid down the street
What service does the public library charge you for?
- using the Internet
- new-release DVDs
- None of the above.