Getting flippant with guns can cost you dearly. How much do you know about firearm safety? Take this quiz to find out.
What does the trigger guard do?
- makes the trigger easier to squeeze
- helps prevent accidental firing
- makes the gun more comfortable to hold
True or false: A gun's safety is guaranteed to never fail.
What should you do with the gun's action before entering a vehicle or home?
- Open it.
- Close it.
- Close it after making sure the safety is on.
How should you treat every gun, even if you suspect it has never once been loaded with ammunition?
- as if it were inaccurate
- as if it were loaded
- as if it were broken
What is a "hair trigger"?
- a very sensitive trigger
- a malfunctioning trigger
Where should your finger NOT be placed until you are ready to fire a weapon?
- the trigger
- the safety
- the trigger guard
About how many states hold adults criminally liable if they fail to store guns safely and someone gets hurt?
How should you cross a fence when you're carrying a weapon?
- Throw the weapon over first.
- Keep both hands on the gun as you climb over.
- Unload the gun, and place it carefully on the other side.
You should never point the muzzle of your gun at anything unless you intend to …
- save it from harm
- eat it
- shoot it
What is "overpenetration"?
- when a bullet has a hollow point
- when a bullet has too much power for a particular gun
- when a bullet passes through a target
Before you pull the trigger, you should verify your target as well as …
- what is nearby
- what is behind and in front of it
What is a safe target?
- a target hung on your barn
- a target hung on hard and flat surface
Smart guns can't be fired by anyone other than their owners thanks to …
- biometric security
- keyed locks
- an ID tag implanted beneath the owner's skin
What is a key trait of a fully automatic weapon?
- It has a self-cleaning mechanism.
- It fires bullets continually until you release the trigger.
- It is much easier to aim.
Where should you store your firearm's ammunition?
- securely and separately from the gun
- in the same safe place as the gun
- close to the ground
What percentage of accidental child shooting victims are boys?
- 50 percent
- 60 percent
- 80 percent
In decibels, how loud are many handguns?
- 160 decibels
- 100 decibels
- 85 decibels
If you use incorrect ammunition for your gun, what can happen?
- The gun becomes a little more powerful.
- The gun may become obstructed.
- The gun will fire two bullets unpredictably.
What should you always be leery of?
- reloaded ammo
- safety glasses
- ear plugs
What's the primary reason to wear safety glasses while shooting?
- Bullets ricochet.
- Guns may explode.
- Other people might shoot you.
When should you perform maintenance on your firearm?
- before you shoot it
- before you store it
What is the legal maximum blood alcohol content for safe gun operation in the U.S.?
- 0.4 percent
- 0.2 percent
- It depends on the state.
What happens if you shoot at a lake's surface?
- The bullet bounces right back at you.
- The bullet sinks.
- The bullet careens off into an unknown direction.
Because accidents happen, you should never do what?
- shoot large caliber weapons
- shoot at animals
- shoot alone
What can happen if you fire weapons in a poorly ventilated area?
- You might start a fire.
- You might inhale lead dust.
- You might get dizzy and fall over.
Where should you store the key for a locked firearm?
- in a secure location
- with the gun
- under the baby's bed
You should unload your gun before …
- leaving it unattended
- taking it out of a pickup truck
- stalking a deer
How does a locationized gun restrict its usage?
- It can only use specific brands of ammunition.
- It can only be fired in approved areas.
- It can only be aimed at certain targets.
In 2013 about how many unintentional firearms deaths were there worldwide?
What can cause the barrel of a gun to split like a banana peel?
- a barrel obstruction
- a manufacturing defect
- overpowered ammunition