Frozen and Tasty: Do you know the best foods to freeze and reheat?
Stocking your freezer with extra meals can be a big timesaver, not to mention easy on your wallet. Test your knowledge of what will and won't keep on ice by taking this quiz.
Wrapping meatloaf tightly in aluminum foil before freezing will help prevent what?
- freezer burn
- losing its shape
- losing vitamins
If you're freezing a liquid, why should you leave a little room at the top of the freezer-safe container?
- Liquids freeze better with a layer of ice on them.
- Liquids expand as they freeze.
- You shouldn't -- fill it to the rim!
What happens to milk when you freeze it?
- Milk can't freeze.
- It separates and can curdle.
- It turns into ice cream.
What's the longest you should leave a casserole in the freezer?
- one month
- three to four months
- one year
True or false: Freezing food kills bacteria.
- Yes, but only the single-cell bacteria.
Generally speaking, does freezing food take away its nutritional value?
- Only when you're freezing beef.
True or false: When freezing lasagna, you should add some extra sauce.
- No, the extra sauce won't freeze properly.
Stocking your freezer with make-ahead meals helps you save what?
- both of the above
What should you put on the labels of your frozen food?
- how much it cost to make
- a smiley face
- what it is and the date you made it
True or false: You shouldn't freeze cream-based soups.
- No, you shouldn't freeze broth-based soups.
True or false: It's better to leave the noodles out when freezing chicken noodle soup.
- No, pasta shouldn't ever be in soup.
True or false: Any old plastic container is good for freezing food.
- No, plastic containers can't be frozen.
True or false: You can defrost your make-ahead meals in the microwave.
- No, microwaves have no effect on frozen food.
True or false: When you freeze meat, you should pour some of the cooking juices into the container.
- No, liquids added to meat will only encourage freezer burn.
True or false: When freezing meat in plastic bags, you should squeeze out all the air before sealing them.
- No, the excess air acts as a protective layer around the food.
How long can raw hamburgers be frozen?
- three to four weeks
- three to four months
True or false: Fresh vegetables lose all their nutritional value when you freeze them.
- It really depends on the vegetable.
True or false: You should always put hot food directly in the freezer.
- Only cooked vegtables should be frozen while still hot.
True or false: Potatoes do not freeze well.
- It's impossible to freeze a potato.
True or false: You can freeze chicken broth in ice cube trays.
- It only works in circular trays.