Eating on the Cheap: The Frugal Foods and Discount Dinners Quiz
Do you have what it takes to be a bargain shopper at the grocery store? Test your knowledge on frugal foods and see how you score.
Which superfood is typically the most inexpensive?
- kidney beans
- raw almonds
Which of these is a frugal meal?
- ramen and shrimp
- both of the above
Which high-fiber food is the most frugal?
- pistachio nuts
- brown rice
What option below is the best breakfast on a budget?
- one cup of granola
- bagels and lox
- two fried eggs
Which of the following is the least frugal nut?
- macadamia nuts
True or false: Tuna canned with oil is cheaper than tuna canned with water.
- There is no cost difference.
Which spice is not a frugal seasoning?
Which vegetable is the best value when you’re on a budget?
How are banana prices able to remain relatively low?
- Bananas stay fresh longer than other fruits.
- Most grocery stores buy bananas in bulk.
- Bananas are available year-round.
Which tomato product is the most frugal choice?
- one pound of fresh grape tomatoes
- one fresh tomato
- one can of diced tomatoes
Why are brand-name foods more expensive than generic brands?
- Brand-name foods spend more money on advertising.
- Brand-name foods include better ingredients than generic brands.
- Grocery stores produce generic brands in-house.
Why is organic food almost never thought of as frugal?
- Grocery stores charge small farms more money to sell organic foods.
- Production costs are higher for organic foods.
- There are many frugal organic foods.
Which potato is NOT a frugal choice?
- la bonnotte potato
- russet potato
- sweet potato
When can you find fruits and vegetables at the cheapest prices?
- during months when the produce isn’t in season
- when the expiration date has almost approached
- during peak months when the produce is in season
What frugal food can be eaten for breakfast, lunch or dinner?
- ham steak
- potato chips
Which child-friendly pantry staple is a frugal food?
- maple syrup
- peanut butter
Which vegetable is not a frugal food in most areas of the U.S.?
What ingredient in spaghetti is the most frugal?
- whole-wheat pasta
- jarred marinara sauce
- ground sirloin beef
Which cut of beef is the most frugal?
Which of these snacks is the most frugal?
- trail mix