The Ultimate Garbage Disposal Quiz
Efficient, smooth and clean garbage disposal is the hallmark of any well-run home. Whiz through this squeaky-clean garbage disposal quiz and find out.
What are the main parts of a garbage disposal unit?
- a silicon compartment with rotating blades
- a metal cylinder and rotating impellers
- a heavy-duty plastic tube and odor-neutralizing air holes
Which of these could get lodged in the disposal unit?
- coin purses and small electronic gadgets
- newspaper cuttings and sawdust shavings
- apricot pits, shrimp shells and large bones
What is the safest way to remove jammed items from the disposal unit?
- Ask help from someone with small hands who can easily reach in to the unit.
- Disable the power supply and preferably use tongs or tweezers.
- Wear rubber gloves and gently insert your hand inside.
If the garbage disposal smells, what's a good cure-all?
- Insert ice cubes and rock salt, then run the disposal for a few seconds under running water.
- Pour in bleach and turn on the unit.
- Use lemon oil essence. Put in a few drops, then turn on the unit for 10 seconds.
For good maintenance, you should purge the drain line on a regular basis. What does this involve?
- Pour a corrosive chemical down the drain to eat away at the debris.
- Allow the disposal unit to remain idle for 24 hours, allowing all debris to disintegrate and decompose.
- Turn on the unit, allowing the water to wash away all debris.
Why do some people specifically put citrus peels in their garbage disposal?
- because they're more readily available than other fruit peels
- to dispose of them
- to deodorize their sinks
If you wanted to install a garbage disposal yourself, what kind of circuit breaker would you need?
- a 120-volt, 20-amp one
- a powerful one
- a 220-volt, 60-amp one
Which of the following would be helpful when you install a garbage disposal?
- garbage scraps for testing, electric drill and small-screwdriver kit
- a Phillips-head screwdriver, plastic sheeting and superglue
- plumber's putty, pipe wrench, bucket and rags
How do you install a garbage disposal if you have a dishwasher?
- You join the drain line with the inlet port at the side of the disposal.
- You connect the "J" trap with the disposal outlet pipe.
- You make sure they are placed far from one another so that each can operate with its own piping.
If the disposal has jammed, what might the problem be?
- There may be vegetable scraps inside the disposal unit.
- You've used the wrong voltage to wire your disposal unit.
- There may be objects like bottle caps or silverware that have fallen through the splashguard.
Many brands of garbage disposal come supplied with a wrench. What is the name of this wrench?
- an Allen wrench
- a combination wrench
- a pipe wrench
How do you fix a clogged drain?
- It's difficult to do by yourself. Your best bet is to call in a professional.
- Open the "P" trap with a wrench and clean it out.
- Unscrew the garbage disposal unit and reach in to locate the offending clog. Then simply re-screw into place.
When would you need to press the reset button on the disposal?
- when it has automatically shut down due to a power overload
- each time you turn on the unit after a 24-hour break in use
- whenever it appears to be too full
What could you use to sharpen the rotating blades?
- any organic matter
- sodium chloride
If your family member has poured grease down the garbage disposal (despite your admonitions against this), what can you do about it?
- Not much at all. With time, it'll get washed away.
- Try flushing it through with hot water for several minutes.
- Pour in a half cup of soap detergent to dilute the grease.
What's the minimum horsepower you need for a garbage disposal motor?
- two-and-a-half horsepower
- three horsepower
- one-half horsepower
What's the relationship between the size of the garbage disposal and the noise it makes?
- It makes no difference to the noise -- any size unit makes the same low hum sound.
- The smaller it is, the quieter it is.
- The bigger it is, the quieter it is.
What brand is considered to be the "Cadillac" of garbage disposals?
- the Waste King Gourmet series
- the Anaheim garbage disposal
- the Viking disposer
What is the Insinkerator brand's selling point?
- anti-bacterial and anti-smell features
- high-performance motor, home service warranty and easy installation
- non-corrosive rotating blades and low cost
In what way is the Viking disposer superior to other models?
- It washes through any excess food scraps and maintains a fresher system.
- It has a muffled sound due to its patented insulation system.
- It performs high-speed garbage disposal.