One of the most important academic placement tests you can take is the GRE. If you want to be accepted to a good graduate school, you must do well on this exam. How does the GRE work? Take this test to find out what you know about the very important GRE.
What does GRE stand for?
- Graduate Record Examination
- Graduate Report and Evaluation
- Grady Readiness Examination
Since which year have schools been administering the GRE?
The current version of the GRE is in what format?
- answer sheet
Which of these institutions first administered the GRE?
- London School of Economics and Political Science
- Harvard Graduate School of Education
- Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching
About how many people per year take the GRE?
- about 200,000
- about 700,000
- about 1 million
Which type of graduate schools have recently started accepting GRE results?
- business schools
- medical school
- law schools
How long does it take to complete the GRE?
- one hour
- three hours
- six hours
How many sections does the GRE have?
What is the most significant difference between the math section of the GRE and that of the SAT?
- There SAT questions are easier.
- The GRE questions are easier.
- You may not bring a calculator to the GRE.
What does the analytical writing section of the GRE test?
- spelling, style, and grammar
- critical thinking and clarity of expression
- knowledge of literature
Which of these topics have been eliminated from the newest version of the GRE ?
- antonyms and analogies
- algebra and geometry
- the essay questions
Which of these organizations provides the PowerPrep GRE practice test?
- The U.S. Department of Education
- Educational Testing service (ETS)
What is the goal of time-based preparation?
- You try to learn how to handle the pressure of a timed test.
- You try to prepare for the early hour during which the GRE is usually administered.
- You try to study for a certain amount of time each day.
Before you start answering questions, the GRE advises you to do which of the following?
- Read the GRE instructions.
- Get a good night's sleep.
- Drink a lot of coffee.
To ensure you finish an entire section, you should do which of these?
- Budget your time by using the on-screen clock.
- Answer all of the questions very quickly.
- Ignore any questions you don't know.
What is the range of scores for the verbal and quantitative reasoning sections of the new GRE?
- zero to 100
- 130 to 170
- 200 to 800
How is the written section of the GRE graded?
- ETS uses a complex computer program to scan and grade the essays.
- The essays are graded by two experts whose grades are averaged for a final grade.
- A five-person panel studies the essays and votes on a final grade.
How long does it take to get the results back from the online version of the GRE?
- about two days
- about two weeks
- about two months
When you take the GRE you can designate how many schools to receive your results?
Reports sent to the schools you've chosen will include all results going back how far?
- It will include your last three tests scores.
- It will include all of your GRE results for the past five years.
- It will include all the GRE results you've ever received.