Green Living Ideas for Frugal Families Quiz
Making environmentally conscious changes to your lifestyle doesn't have to break the family bank. Take this quiz to learn about some easy ways to save your money and planet.
What uses up to 85 percent of your washing machine's energy?
- Heating the water.
- Making the basket spin.
- Washing machines don't use energy.
How does lowering your thermostat in the winter help the environement?
- When you're colder, you breath less, and thus contribute less carbon dioxide to the environment.
- It allows your heater to use less energy.
- It doesn't.
What can your family easily make at home to save money on household products?
- Plastic watter bottles.
- Household cleaners.
- Making things at home doesn't really save money.
Which of these is the main ingredient for an easy homeade beauty product?
- Chili pepper.
- Olive oil.
Approximately how many pounds of clothes does the average family throw away each year?
- 5 pounds.
- 68 pounds.
- 37 pounds.
How does buying used clothes save you money, besides simply a cheaper price tag?
- It doesn't. It's just cheap.
- You can sell it back again for more if you wash it and return it.
- You can buy higher quality items for less, and they will last longer than cheaper items.
What might you find in an energy audit that will save money?
- A more efficient way of doing laundry.
- Windows that let cold air seep in.
- How to warm up without turning up the thermostat through exercise.
How much money did ENERGY STAR appliances save in utitlity bills last year?
- $18 billion dollars.
- ENERGY STAR appliances don't necessarily save money, but do help the environment.
- $50 million dollars.
Using reusable grocery store bags certainly helps the environment. When Ireland passed a levy on plastic bags, what happened?
- Plastic bag consumption stayed nearly the same, but levy money went to environmental causes.
- Plastic bag consumption dropped a staggering amount.
What is an effective strategy for cutting down household paper waste?
- Paperless billing.
- Removing your address from junk mail lists.
What's an advantage to recycling?
- Using recycling "credits" to buy discounts, coupons, or deals.
- Tax credits.
- There is no advantage, besides feeling smug.
How can you make your kids' lunch a lot more environmentally friendly without a lot more cost?
- Avoid using plastic baggies for food.
- Send them to school with a water bottle.
How much energy (on average) is used when your computer is fully charged and still plugged into to a power source?
- No energy is used after it's charged.
- 29 watts.
- .5 watts.
What are three ways to use less energy in appliances?
- Only run them ten seconds at a time, turn off your breaker when your not home, only heat your oven to 300 degrees.
- Only use bottled water to avoid letting water go down your drain, unplug your refridgerator everyday for ten minutes, eat out to save on energy output from your stove.
- Use CFL lightbults, a faucet aerator to conserve heat, and a low-flow shower to save water.
What do you need to buy to save less money on gas?
- A bus pass.
- A hybrid car.
What is NOT a cost-savings effective way of saving money on gas?
- Biking to work.
- Walking to the nearest store.
- Buying a fuel-efficient car as a back-up for your current ride.
What is one food item we could cut out once a week to make a profound effect on our environment (and wallet)?
- Non-organic vegetables.
What does an average family spend a year on eating out?
What common household item is dangerous to throw away?
- Water filters.
Reducing American meat consumption by 20 percent would be equivalent to what?
- Replacing two-thirds of our ozone.
- Saving twenty thousand polar bears at risk from global warming.
- Everyone driving a hybrid.