Environmentally minded shopping is more than just an admirable goal. It's a way to decrease your carbon footprint. Find out how you rank as a green shopper.
Approximately how many plastic shopping bags are thrown away each year in the United States?
- 10 billion
- 100 billion
- 500 billion
Methane, a greenhouse gas, remains in the atmosphere 9 to 15 years. How many metric tons of methane does livestock farming release worldwide each year?
- 100 million metric tons (100,231,131 tons)
- 300 million metric tons (330,693,393 tons)
- 80 million metric tons (88,184,905 tons)
The United States is the largest producer of corn in the world. What is most of it used for?
- feeding livestock, poultry and fish
- exporting to other countries
- making ethanol fuel
On average, how much of what is put into the recycling stream actually gets recycled?
How many tons of food is thrown out each day in the United States?
- 13,000 tons
- 27,000 tons (24,494 metric tons)
- 42,000 tons (38,102 metric tons)
It's estimated that by 2013, eco-friendly household cleaners will account for what percentage of the household-cleaner market?
- 15 percent
- 25 percent
- 30 percent
How many plastic bottles are thrown out every hour in the United States?
Approximately what percentage of municipal solid waste is packaging?
- 18 percent
- 31 percent
- 50 percent
Although they are often grown thousands of miles away, which fruit has the cleanest carbon footprint?
How many tons of garbage are thrown out each year in the United States?
- 13,000,000 tons (11,793,402 metric tons)
- 56,000,000 tons (50,802,345 metric tons)
- 32,000,000 tons (29,029,912 metric tons)
Biking to the store is not only good for the environment, it's good for your health. How much more efficient is biking than driving a gas-powered car?
Which of the listed materials makes the most environmentally friendly bag?
- conventional or organic cotton
Which is the most effective way to reduce the environmental impact of your shopping?
- make your own cleaning products
- buy more organic products
- buy less meat
What does CSA stand for?
- consumer sustainable agriculture
- community supported agriculture
- chlorophyll saturated agriculture
Growing your own food is a great way to green your shopping list. What type of garden is designed on a grid?
- square-foot garden
- container garden
- window box garden
Critics of marketing products as 'green' refer to this practice by this term.
What is the name of the non-profit with one of the strictest processes for receiving their organic seal of approval?
- Green Seal
- Going Green
This food movement is gaining popularity among suburban and urban dwellers.
What is the most environmentally friendly way of handling used plastic containers?
- Re-purpose them for another use.
- Throw them away.
- Recycle them.
What is a food mile?
- the distance a particular food travels from where it was grown or raised to where you buy it
- the distance from your house to the nearest grocery store
- the distance in miles from farm to store divided by the square root of calories per pound of food