Do you even lift? Hey, no big deal if not! The gym is a place for newbies and vein-popping enthusiasts alike. Take this quiz so you can learn -- or brush up -- on the unspoken rules of the gym.
Before you even walk into the gym, what should you make sure to avoid wearing for a work out?
- perfumes and colognes
- revealing gym clothes
- dirty sneakers
Sure, nobody can tell you what to wear -- but what is one kind of clothing that might not be well-suited to a hardcore workout?
- synthetic or polyester
What is one way to avoid conversation at the gym?
- wearing headphones
- closing your eyes in fake concentration every time someone comes over to you
The squat rack is for:
- bicep curls and squats
- squats and just kinda watching yourself in the mirror
- Squats. Period.
What is one thing you should do in the free-weight mirrors?
- apply bronzer
- check your form
- flex your rippling muscles
If you're on a weight machine and someone is waiting for it, you should:
- ignore them
- stop lifting
- Do a reasonable amount of reps, and then let someone else step in.
Is it cool to ask someone how much they lift?
Guys, is it cool to comment on a woman's body at the gym?
- Sure; everyone is there to focus on their body anyway.
- As long as you're being complimentary, it's fine.
- No. Nope, no, never.
But what if you're just trying to tell her she looks strong, fit or healthy?
- Oh, in that case -- sure!
- Totally fine, you're not a creep!
The proper time to wipe down a machine is:
- before your workout
- after your workout
Workouts should be:
- as quiet as possible
- Hey, it's a gym -- make a racket.
So there are twelve empty ellipticals and one that's occupied. Which do you choose?
- the one farthest away from the occupied equipment
- one that isn't directly next to the occupied machine
- the one right next to the occupied one
You can save a machine by:
- calling dibs
- licking it
- You cannot save a machine.
You're in the weight room, lifting a ton. (Or like 20 pounds.) To show your mad skill, you:
- drop the weights dramatically
- set the weights gently down and glare
- try to be careful about dropping the big weights, but it depends on the gym
Now let's head to fitness class. When choosing a buddy for partner exercises, do:
- decline and do everything solo
- be easygoing, and buddy up with whomever is nearby
- ignore an assigned partner and ask the instructor to personally show you the moves
Watching fitness classes you're not participating in is:
- totally fine
- kind of creepy, and not welcome
- almost as good as being in the class itself
Filling your water bottle up at the fountain is:
- no problem
- inappropriate -- do it at a sink
- for weaklings
Wearing a bikini or swimming briefs at the pool is:
You should wipe down:
- benches or weights you touch
If you'd like to do sets with multiple weights, you should:
- grab all the weights you need
- still grab one weight at a time
It's lap swimming time! What do you do if you're sharing a lane?
- keep on opposite sides
- stay behind the other person
- try to stay in front of the other person
An important call is coming in while you're on the treadmill. You:
- push pause and answer it
- ignore it and hope your house isn't on fire
- step off into a hallway or quiet corner to answer
If you're asked to spot someone:
- yell encouragement the entire time
- goad them into doing more reps
- You're just making sure they're safe.
Swearing at the gym:
- is part of the fun, grown-up atmosphere
- is inappropriate
- is punishable by revoked membership
Oh look -- that guy's rowing-machine form is way off. Tell him:
- exactly what he's doing wrong
- nothing, unless he asks
- he's doing great and could win a medal
You see a person who looks overweight working out at the gym. You should:
- give them encouragement and commend them for doing something for their health
- do and say absolutely nothing
- watch to make sure they don't hurt themselves
Ready for the locker room? Showering is best done:
- with shorts on
- showering at the gym is only for exhibitionists
But showers at the gym needn't include:
- grooming beyond soap and shampoo
Leave what at home?
- perfumes and colognes
- shower shoes
You see a newbie at the gym, trying to figure out a machine. You should:
- ask if they need some help
- ignore at all costs
- loudly talk about how this gym is getting weak