The Ultimate Haleakala National Park Quiz
Did you know that you do not have to leave the United States to take a hike through a tropical rainforest? Take our quiz and learn more about unique national treasure.
In what American state is the Haleakala National Park located?
What is unique about the landscape found in Haleakala National Park?
- The landscape in Haleakala National Park is uncharacteristically flat for the state of Hawaii.
- The landscape in Haleakala National Park encompasses diverse landscapes from rain forests to deserts.
- The landscape in Haleakala National Park is mountainous with peaks reaching up to 15,000 feet.
What rules are in place for camping at the Hosmer Grove Campground and Kipahulu Campground located in the park?
- A person may only camp three nights per month in each of the sites.
- A person may only camp three nights per month in one or the other campground.
- A permit is required to camp at either Hosmer Grove or Kipahulu Campground.
How would you make a reservation for one of the three available wilderness cabins located in this park?
- by telephone one year in advance
- by passing a basic survival course and going on a waiting list.
- by monthly mail in lottery
From what source is the name Haleakala National Park derived?
- an ancient native god
- a dormant volcano
- Hawaiian for soaring eagle
What is the English translation of the name Haleakala?
- house of the sun
- sleeping giant
- den of fire
How many square miles are within the crater located at the summit of the Haleakala volcano?
- 15 square miles
- 19 square miles
- 23 square miles
How far below the summit, is the floor of the crater located?
- 1,518 feet
- 2,234 feet
- 2,720 feet
What area of land does the Haleakala volcano cover?
- 29 miles by 21 miles
- 33 miles by 24 miles
- 36 miles by 27 miles
How high is the summit of the Haleakala volcano?
- 12,000 feet above sea level
- 14,000 feet above sea level
- 16,000 feet above sea level
What is Puu O Maui?
- Puu O Maui is a rare plant that grows only in the crater at the top of Haleakala volcano.
- Puu O Maui is the tallest volcanic cone located in the crater at the top of Haleakala volcano.
- Puu O Maui is a spectacular bird of prey that is found only in the crater at the top of Haleakala volcano.
What is the name of a rare plant that only grows in the otherwise barren Haleakala crater and on the exterior slope at higher elevations?
How long does a silversword take to grow to maturity?
- fifteen to fifty years
- ten to thirty years
- four to twenty years
What special United Nations designation does the park carry due to its unique environment?
- International Rainforest Reserve
- International Biosphere Reserve
- International Environmental Reserve
How high does the road to the Haleakala summit rise in only 38 miles?
- more than 8,300 feet
- more than 10,000 feet
- more than 11,500 feet
The Haleakala National Park is famous for a bird that is believed to have descended from the first birds to arrive in Hawaii, what is the bird’s name?
How do biologists believe the flora and fauna arrived on Maui?
- by flying or floating
- by swimming
- both of the above
Where is the tropical rainforest located within the Haleakala National Park?
- Hosmer Grove
- Kipahulu Valley
- Pipiwai slope
What crop was grown along the 'Ohe'o Stream until the 1920s?
- sweet corn
- coffee beans
How far does the water plunge before hitting bottom at the Waimoku Falls?
- 200 feet
- 300 feet
- 400 feet