The Ultimate Hardwood Floors Quiz
Hardwood flooring has become a very popular choice for homes and businesses. Take this quiz and find out how much you know about hardwood floor choices.
How often should hardwood floors be replaced?
- almost never
- every 10 years
- every 20 years
Why are hardwood floors popular?
- They are beautiful.
- They are durable.
- Both answers are correct.
How are hardwood floors installed?
- professional installation
- both the above
What is an advantage of do-it-yourself installation?
- You won't have strangers in your home.
- You can work at your own convenience.
- You can save money.
How does unfinished wood differ from pre-finished wood?
- Both types need work after installation.
- Pre-finished wood does not need any additional labor after installation.
- Unfinished wood needs to be finished before installation.
How does the look of parquet differ from typical hardwoods?
- Parquet flooring is made up of geometric patterns.
- Parquet flooring comes in narrow strips.
- Parquet flooring comes in wide strips.
What is an advantage of engineered wood?
What color is beech?
Why is cherry a poor choice for a whole floor?
- too soft
- too brittle
- too expensive
Which wood is the most popular choice for U.S. homeowners?
What is the Janka rating system?
- a system to measure color of wood
- a system to measure the relative hardness of wood
- a system to measure the expense of wood
What is the purpose of finish?
- protects from everyday wear and tear
- gives floors color and luster
- both the above
What happens to oil-based urethane finishes as they age?
- yellows with age
- fades with age
- may wear out
How many sheen choices do finish buyers have?
What is a disadvantage of high gloss sheen on wood floors?
- shows scratches
- high maintenance
What technique makes floors appear whitewashed?
What surface finish is most often used for commercial floors?
- moisture-cured urethane
- conversion varnish
- water-based urethane
According to the Janka rating system, what wood is the hardest?
- Brazilian cherry
- yellow pine
When should you refinish your wood floors?
- Use the manufacture's recommendation for refinishing.
- It is time to refinish if water poured on a worn area is quickly absorbed.
- Every three years is the standard rule for refinishing.
What type of wood is found in laminate wood flooring?