Being a collector can be a fun, but what if it begins to affect your health and relationships in a negative way? Take our quiz, packed full of expert information from mental health professionals.
Compulsive hoarding is typically considered what type of mental disorder?
- anxiety disorder
- mood disorder
- psychotic disorder
- substance disorder
How many Americans are compulsive hoarders?
- 1.2 million
- 3 million
- 20.9 million
- About half of all Americans
Which of the following is NOT a cause of compulsive hoarding?
- problems with aggression
- emotional distress about discarding possessions
- a strong emotional attachment toward one's possessions
- trouble deciding what is valuable and what is not
What is the name of the assessment tool developed by the National Study Group on Chronic Disorganization (NSGCD)?
- Simpson-Angus Scale
- Subjective Well-being on Neuroleptics Scale
- Clutter-Hoarding Scale
- Chronic Disorganization Scale
True or false: Not all hoarders excessively collect or save objects; some hoard animals.
What is NOT a characteristic of hoarding?
- repeatedly acquiring and saving unneeded things
- a living space to clutter by acquisitions it disrupts moving around
- sleep disturbances
- procrastination and indecisiveness
- withdrawal from relationships and activities that were once pleasurable
Hoarding runs in families: True or false?
One of the following treatments is not used as a strategy for alleviating hoarding symptoms and triggers:
- cognitive-behavioral therapy
- residential treatment
- intensive multimodal treatment
- psychodynamic therapy
True or false: Hoarding symptoms are commonly seen only in adults.
Compulsive hoarders may be at risk for health issues due to all of the following EXCEPT:
- fire hazards
- unsanitary conditions
- cardiac and respiratory problems