How well do you know Victorian era slang?
There are some Victorian-era gems that are not used by the public today and would sound odd in conversation. Test your knowledge of what these arcane terms really mean!
When you tell someone to shut their "sauce-box," what are you saying?
- Your pot is boiling
- Quiet your mind
- Stop your mouth
- Stop walking so fast
What happened when you leave the tavern half-rats?
- You're throwing up
- You're only partially intoxicated
- You're leaving at midnight
- You're leaving without your wallet
When someone is "not up to dick," what should you do?
- Punch them
- Send them flowers or make them soup
- Never speak to them again
- Shoot them
Is it true that Casanova was a gal-sneaker?
- No, he didn't wear sneakers
- Yes, he had a problem with addiction
- No, he did not care for older women
- Yes, he was devoted to seduction
When you're staring at someone's parish pick-axe, what are you looking at?
- Their large nose
- The axe in the church garden
- Their tall hat
- The hump on their back
What is a Victorian word for hands?
What happens when you cop a mouse?
- You find a mouse in your kitchen
- You eat a mouse
- You get a black eye
- You get a headache
If a boozer scorns your love of cat-lap, what is he referring to?
- Tea and coffee
- Kittens on your lap
- Napping in the afternoon
- Your love of plain water
If you want to satirically refer to enthusiasm, what would you call it?
- You don't say anything, but you frown
When you bemoan your fly rink, what are you referring to?
- Your ice skating rink
- Your fly-infested yard
- Your bald head
- Your scuffed shoe
If you're caught wearing gas-pipes, what are you wearing?
- Leather chaps
- Tight pants
- Mismatching socks
What are the jammiest bits of jam?
- The sweetest jars of jam
- The best portion of a piece of cake
- Perfect young females
- The chunks of fruit found in jam
If you're mafficking in the streets after a football game, what are you doing?
- Getting rowdy
- Smoking cigars
That preposterous thing you just said is enough to do what?
- Make a stuffed bird laugh
- Float an elephant
- Launch a rosebush
- Saw a carpenter
What does it mean when something is "nanty narking" at the tavern?
- It's ridiculous
- It's scandalous
- It's unexplainable
- It's great good fun
What is the meaning of the term "afternoonified"?
What happens when you batty-fang something?
- You bite it
- You thoroughly thrash it
- You bat an eyelash at it
- You kiss it
If you complain of "orf chump," what is your problem?
- You're a chump
- You are tired
- You have no appetite
- Your left leg is hurting
When you're blushing because you're poked up, what happened?
- You are embarrassed
- You are knocked-up
- You've lost your job
- You are caught saying something stupid
When it rains, you better pull out which of these that refers to an umbrella?
- Rain carpet
What has happened when you have smothered a parrot?
- You have literally smothered a bird
- You have taken a warm bath
- You have had a glass of absinthe, neat
- You have sat on your glasses
What happens when you take the egg?
- You win
- You steal someone's breakfast
- You accept defeat
- You excite a lot of attention
Who are the whooperups of the world?
- The cheerleaders
- The drug addicts
- The bad singers
- The overly enthusiastic
Who are the arfarfan'arfs in the corner there?
- The bad school children
- The pack of puppies
- The drunken men
- The triplet siblings
If you're a nineteenth-century sailor on a benjo, what are you doing?
- Having a riotous holiday
- Having a booze binge
- Sailing around the world
- Dealing with a massive hangover
Who is the church-bell that you need to avoid?
- The overly religious person
- The underage girl
- The over-talkative lady
- The woman with a tarnished reputation
What are you doing when caught "kruger-spoofing"?
- Exposing yourself in public
- Beating your wife
Why is a nose-bagger so annoying?
- He always has his nose way up in the air
- He is always playing his music too loud
- He brings nothing to a dinner party
- He brings his own supplies to the beach, purchasing nothing from the beach resort
What is another way of describing a gigglemug?
- A smiling face
- A ridiculous-looking person
- A sad dog
- A crazy person
What should you do when someone wants to shake a flannin with you?
- Accept their offer to dance
- Tell them you love them too
- Run, because they want to pick a fight
When someone tells you that they "umble-cum-stumble," what do they mean?
- They have no idea what you're talking about
- They're telling you to shut up
- They're saying that they understand completely
- They're telling you that they don't speak English
What does it mean to be "mad as hops"?
- You're super angry
- You're super excitable
- You're crazy as a loon
- You're in love
Is it a good idea to be powdering your hair on a Saturday night?
- Yes, your hair will look better
- No, because no one wants to see you with your shirt off
- Yes, go ahead and get drunk
- No, you should never do that with an animal
When you're being called a meater, what does that mean?
- You're a coward
- You're a carnivore
- You like to meet people
- You're a hunter