The Ultimate J.K. Rowling Quiz
Just another quiz about a famously rich, reclusive and prolific writer who we all secretly think we could be best friends with. Take this quiz to see if your Rowling fandom is truly special.
What does the "J" stand for in J.K. Rowling's pen name?
What does the "K" stand for?
- nothing — just "K"
Why did she choose to write under J.K. and not Jo?
- She wanted the mystery.
- The publishers weren't sure if boys would go for a wizarding book written by a woman.
- There was already a Jo Rowling writing books.
Where did Rowling's parents meet?
- Kensington Palace
- King's Cross Station
- a bowling alley
Rowling's mother worked as:
- a wizard
- a stay-at-home parent
- a science lab technician
What author did Rowling name her daughter after?
- Jane Austen
- Jessica Mitford
- P.G. Wodehouse
Where did Rowling attend university?
What university rejected her?
What year was Rowling first struck with the idea for the Harry Potter books?
Rowling moved to Portugal briefly and worked as what?
- a waitress
- an English teacher
- a journalist
Where did she move after returning from Portugal?
How much was Rowling estimated to be worth, in 2012?
- $900 million
- $4 billion
- $400 million
Before "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" was published, Rowling estimates how many people read it?
Where was Rowling when the idea for the Harry Potter series came to her?
- in the rain
- in a plane
- on a train
What did Rowling read from at the 2012 London Olympics Opening Ceremony?
- "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone"
- "Peter Pan"
- "Alice in Wonderland"
Rowling's father auctioned off what in 2003?
- an inscribed first edition of "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire" given to him by Jo on Father's Day
- a date with him
- a date with Jo
Rowling used what assistance when writing the first Harry Potter book?
- a transcriber who wrote down her story while she recited it
- roughly 15 cups of coffee a day
- government welfare
How did Rowling write the first manuscript for "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone?"
How long did it take for Rowling to find a publisher?
- about a year
- ten years
- three days
What was the initial print run of "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone?"
Where does Rowling like to write?
- her studio in the country
- the library
What is Rowling's pseudonym for her mystery series?
- Joe Garner
- Jo Tipplepot
- Robert Galbraith
Who revealed Rowling's pseudonym?
- her father
- an acquaintance of one of her legal representatives
Why did Rowling choose "Galbraith"?
- it was a fantasy name she had for herself as a child
- She combined the last names of two influential teachers she had.
- She opened a phone book and randomly picked it.
Rowling was bestowed what honor in 2000?
- Order of the British Empire
- the title of "Lady"
- the Pulitzer Prize
What Harry Potter-related project is upcoming?
- a new story about Harry's mother
- a play about Harry's youngest child
- a retelling of the Harry Potter story from Voldemort's perspective
In 2008, Rowling gave the commencement address at what university?
"The Casual Vacancy" was Rowling's novel after the Harry Potter series finished. What is the setting of the story?
- a fictional town in Britain
What was the first screenplay Rowling ever wrote?
- "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows"
- "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them"
- "Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets"